[BUG][V6.1.0] Virtual Machines default to VT-x on and no option to turn off if not available

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BruA

[BUG][V6.1.0] Virtual Machines default to VT-x on and no option to turn off if not available

Post by BruA »

I have a machine which I cannot control the BIOS/UEFI.
VT-X is off and cannot turn on.

Current situation:
In VirtualBox 6.1.0, when creating/changing settings for a virtual machine.
  1. VT-x defaults to ON
  2. VT-x toggle is hidden
  3. Cannot leave the Settings screen unless the inexistent VT-x toggle is turned off.

Expected results:
VT-x setting in the xml file should default to whether the host has VT-x.

Incriminatory photos
6.1.0 Doesn't have the option, so I'm stuck unless I install 6.0.14:
6.1.0 Doesn't have the option, so I'm stuck unless I install 6.0.14
6.1.0 Doesn't have the option, so I'm stuck unless I install 6.0.14
VTx-no_option_error.PNG (29.45 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
6.0.14 has the checkbox enabled by default too. But I can disable it:
6.0.14 has the checkbox enabled by default too. But I can disable it.
6.0.14 has the checkbox enabled by default too. But I can disable it.
VTx-to_disable.PNG (11.53 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
In 6.0.14 not only it becomes disabled, the checkbox becomes disabled too:
In 6.0.14 not only it becomes disabled, the checkbox becomes disabled too
In 6.0.14 not only it becomes disabled, the checkbox becomes disabled too
VTx-disabled.PNG (12.71 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Last edited by BruA on 14. Jan 2020, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
BruA

Re: [BUG][V6.1.0] Virtual Machines default to VT-x on and no option to turn off if not available

Post by BruA »

Back to 6.1.0, the warning is gone because the XML was changed by 6.0.14 to turn off the inexistent option.
Back to 6.1.0, the warning is gone because the XML was changed by 6.0.14 to turn off the inexistent option.
VTx-no_option_fixed.PNG (14.33 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: [BUG][V6.1.0] Virtual Machines default to VT-x on and no option to turn off if not available

Post by scottgus1 »

'Tain't a bug, 6.1.x has removed the code that allowed 1-core 32-bit guests to run without VT-x (see I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests).

Now VT-x has to be on in the BIOS for any guests to run on 6.1.x. Non-VT-x users will have to stay with 6.0.x.

That said, 6.0.x will quite likely still be supported for some time. (They're still supporting 5.2.x). So this will give you time to build up that war chest for that new PC! :lol:
BruA

Post by BruA »

If that's the case, the warning should state that with VirtualBox 6.1.0, VT-x is mandatory and the host doesn't have VT-x available.
Still a bug, just doesn't remove functionality, then
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

BruA wrote:VT-x is mandatory
This is stated in the changelog: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-6.1#v0 , though admittedly not in those words:
6.1.x Changelog wrote:Virtualization core: Drop recompiler, i.e. running VMs now needs a CPU supporting hardware virtualization
BruA

Post by BruA »

That's fine I believe but the program should corroborate it clearly and not just complain that the option is activated and the host doesn't support it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"VT-x" is not mandatory, as that is the name of a feature found only on Intel chips. E.g. VT-x is not mandatory on an AMD-Ryzen. The changelog accurately indicates what has been removed.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this "bug report". Precisely what CLAIMED FEATURE are you saying does not work as claimed?
BruA

Post by BruA »

It has been shown it is not a bug.
Since 6.1.0, if intel CPU VT-x is mandatory and it appears this intel PC doesn't have VT-x on.
mpack wrote:"VT-x" is not mandatory, as that is the name of a feature found only on Intel chips
Sorry. I oversimplified. When I typed "VT-x" , I meant the virtualization technology in the CPU, whatever the brand it is (intel, AMD, etc...).

In this case, VirtualBox should complain that VT-x/AMD-V is not available and such feature must be available for it to work.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

BruA wrote: In this case, VirtualBox should complain that VT-x/AMD-V is not available and such feature must be available for it to work.
AFAIK, that is precisely what it does. Indeed, I thought that was what brought you here. That's why I asked you to clarify.
BruA

Post by BruA »

mpack wrote:
BruA wrote: In this case, VirtualBox should complain that VT-x/AMD-V is not available and such feature must be available for it to work.
AFAIK, that is precisely what it does.
I disagree on that statement.
If the text says (see the first image in the OP post):
It should be disabled in order to start the virtual system.
Then it is ordering me to turn it off. Instead, it should mention that it must be one and it off is no longer supported.
Makes sense?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ah, I see. Your "bug" is some outdated text in an error dialog. Fine.
BruA

Post by BruA »

Well. It started as not being outdated text but when I was informed that the behaviour was by design, then I changed the scope to be the text which misled me.