VM Hardening error on start up

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bibull

VM Hardening error on start up

Post by bibull »

Hi, i am getting some hardening error on start that i can't seen to fix.

i already read and tried everything on this post viewtopic.php?f=25&t=82106

and i searched the forums for other types of fixes.

Nothing worked. Still keeps giving me the same error.

is there anything else i can try?

i'll attach a zip with two screenshots and the log.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(48.92 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM Hardening error on start up

Post by scottgus1 »

Good on ya for searching & reading the Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues tutorial!

Nothing egregious jumps out to me in the hardening log. Others might find something.

Did you try doing what Snapshot_26 said to do? Do it by right-clicking and choosing Run As Administrator.
bibull

Post by bibull »

scottgus1 wrote:Did you try doing what Snapshot_26 said to do? Do it by right-clicking and choosing Run As Administrator.
yes, i fully uninstalled and then reinstalled VirtualBox using "Run as administrator" to run the installer as well as to run the VirtualBox itself.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, that's good. What exactly did you try when you read the Hardening tutorial?
bibull

Post by bibull »

scottgus1 wrote:OK, that's good. What exactly did you try when you read the Hardening tutorial?
everything for win7 that i could see.

so none hyper-v stuff since thats a win10 thing.

sfc /scannow

i uninstalled/interrupted applications/processes that i thought could cause problems with virtualbox

it gives me the same error when trying to start as headless mode so i discarded the problem being the graphics drivers

some other forum posts with random guess repais

and i restarted everything many times between tries with installations and guess repairs

i think that's all i tried so far that i can think of right now
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The tutorial post "Error Symptom 1: Exit with error code 1" covers your log's error code.

Looking through your log there are a lot of [lacks WinVerifyTrust] in it. I have those too, but they thin out towards the end of the log and there aren't any at the very end.

Your log has these all the way to the bottom. I surmise, though I may be wrong, that something isn't kosher about your Windows 7 install. Some files may have been hacked. For example it was popular in the heyday of Windows 7 to install hacked themes, which had to modify 'user32.dll', which happens to be one of the several files that [lacks WinVerifyTrust] all the way to the end of the log.

The only thing I can suggest, to clear this up, is to install a fresh Windows 7 on a different hard drive, then put Virtualbox on it and run a guest. You probably won't have hardening issues with a fresh install. This will pin down the problem to something in your old OS, which we couldn't guess at.

Others might have a better idea.
bibull

Post by bibull »

scottgus1 wrote:The tutorial post "Error Symptom 1: Exit with error code 1" covers your log's error code.
yes, that's why i tried the scannow first, but it didn't find anything wrong

i never hacked nor did anything strange to my windows installation, but one time i had a windows corruption or something after a windows update that it wouldn't start alone anymore, i had to use the "system restore to an earlier point" and go back to what it were before the update. That might be why i get a lot of those [lacks WinVerifyTrust] and have lots of corrupted dll that virtualbox can't start up.

VirtualBox was my first option because i think i don't have enough disk space to create a partition for a fresh ubuntu/xubuntu install alongside Windows, but i might have to clear space to do that or do a fresh win7/win10 install since i dont have a second ssd or hard drive