vm dont work!, just blavk screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lecoq

vm dont work!, just blavk screen

Post by lecoq »

hello, I don't know how it happened ... just from one day to the next the virtual machine, it doesn't work anymore, it's in a snapshot ... but it doesn't start the operating system, it just shows the cursor at the top,
just black screen... and no does anything else, is it possible to repair it ?, check the log and I don't see any error ... will anyone know?...cheers!

[ModEdit; Cellphone picture of the beginning of the log removed]
Last edited by socratis on 15. Nov 2019, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vm dont work!, just blavk screen

Post by socratis »

I deleted the picture that you took with your cell phone of your monitor, showing the beginning of the VBox.log. Partial logs are not that helpful I'm afraid. We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lecoq

Re: vm dont work!, just black screen

Post by lecoq »

Hi, I could save the system by loading an earlier snapshot now Windows works, but now my problem is another, I need to rescue the most recent information since the snapshot is from 1 month ago ... can it be done in any way? :(
I attached the log.

thanks
Attachments
Windows Server-2019-11-15-10-45-07.rar
(20.91 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

lecoq wrote:I could save the system by loading an earlier snapshot now Windows works
If the guest was running, the log won't help show what the guest was doing when it was blackscreening. Can you please confirm how the guest was acting while the log you posted was being made. Had you got it running again, or was the guest showing the black screen during this log? If it was running, please reconfigure the guest so it runs from the blackscreening snapshot and post that log in a zip file.

Also, please zip and post the guest's .vbox file, found in the guest's folder.

Further, can you please run these commands in a command prompt window, and post the outputs as text in

Code: Select all

tags?

[pre][color=#800040]cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
vboxmanage showmediuminfo "C:\Windows Server Contabw\Windows XP.vdi"
vboxmanage showmediuminfo "C:\Windows Server Contabw\Snapshots/{2f0727b0-84b7-4236-b684-2ac7fbc44e2e}.vdi"[/color][/pre]
If there are any other snapshot vdi's in the "C:\Windows Server Contabw\Snapshots" folder, please run the 'vboxmanage showmediuminfo' command on them, too.

[quote="lecoq"]is it possible to repair it ?[/quote]
It will be necessary to get the guest running under the apparently-broken snapshot to get the data out of it. Snapshots store only changed disk sectors, not files, and cannot be used separately from their parent VMs. See [url=https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8046]All about VDIs[/url]

Merci!
M.Tabaret
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.18 r124319 win.amd64 (Aug 14 2018 12:39:01) release log
And update your VirtualBox installation after the dust settles, this is more than a year-old VirtualBox that you're running.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.