COM object fail to aquire error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Boot Virtual

COM object fail to aquire error

Post by Boot Virtual »

Hello! I need some help using VirtualBox. I've used VirtualBox one year on my computer and now I try to open it but it gives me the following error:
Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate.

Document is empty.
Location: 'C:\Users\Marc-Tudor\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.
F:\tinderbox\win-6.0\src\VBox\Main\src-server\VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[624] (long __cdecl VirtualBox::init(void)).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee: IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
I've reinstalled VirtualBox 10 times but I have the same error. If you have a solution for that please tell me.

Boot Virtual
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: COM object fail to aquire error

Post by mpack »

I suspect Windows had a feature update, which messed with the VirtualBox registry settings.

Try reinstalling VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: COM object fail to aquire error

Post by socratis »

Boot Virtual wrote:Document is empty.
Location: 'C:\Users\Marc-Tudor\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.
Unfortunately this XPCOM message can come from more things than the registry alone, this error for example is common on OSX and Linux Hosts.

'C:\Users\Marc-Tudor\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml' is a zero-byte file. If there's a non-zero-byte file named 'C:\Users\Marc-Tudor\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml-prev', then copy that to 'C:\Users\Marc-Tudor\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml'.

Or else delete the whole 'C:\Users\Marc-Tudor\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml' file altogether, it will be properly recreated.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.