IP adress in Kali Linux

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Juaan10

IP adress in Kali Linux

Post by Juaan10 »

Recently I installed Kali Linux into a virtual machine and I realized that the IP address was 10.0.2.15.
i´ve seen multiple videos on Youtube about how to fix it and they change the internett adapter in the internet settings to "Bridge" but when I select that option it would make me that there was no adapter
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: IP adress in Kali Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The IP address of 10.0.2.15 very likely means the guest network is set to NAT. When you set the guest Network to Bridged, then the host's LAN gives the guest its IP address, assuming the LAN normally does that for new PCs on the network.

Unless....

Bridged may not always work with a Wifi adapter, due to to-the-letter implementation of the Wifi protocols by either the wifi adapter driver or the access point firmware. Technically Wifi cannot Bridge, but some combinations of wifi adapter drivers and access point firmware implement these protocols in a lax fashion so Bridged can squeeze through. If it works where you are, good. If you can't get a good network trying to Bridge with a wifi adapter, you'll have to go to wired Ethernet on the host.

However, this might be an XY problem. Even more important may be, Why do you want to change the guest's IP address?