Normal Start Failng, but Headless Start Works!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GMiller

Normal Start Failng, but Headless Start Works!

Post by GMiller »

Error msg
Error msg
OVB_ERROR.PNG (18.06 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Hello,

I had my laptop at deskside support and when I received it back my Virtualbox 'Normal' Start no longer works for any of my windows virtual machines.
I have tried uninstall virtualboc 6.0.10 and re-installing again with no luck. When I tried a headless start it does work.
I know he upgrade my BIOS but its unclear what else he did.

please see attached error on normal start up and the hardeing log

Iam trying to add hardeneing, but doesn't seem to add more than one file?

I have added the zipped hardening file and log file if this helps any.....thank you
Attachments
Win10_WD_Sept_2019_GM-2019-11-07-10-25-08.zip
(51.72 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by GMiller on 7. Nov 2019, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Normal Start Failng, but Headless Start Works!

Post by mpack »

Sounds like a typical hardening error, specifically an unsigned graphics driver on the host.

I don't understand your last sentence. If you are trying to attach the hardening log then zip it first.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Normal Start Failng, but Headless Start Works!

Post by mpack »

I see that you modified your post to attach a log. Please don't do that, or at least post to say you've done it, because otherwise there is no notification. This time you got lucky that I happened by anyway.

The log shows that you have a hacked theme DLL (uxtheme.dll), which also means that it isn't signed. That circumstance was specifically discussed in the Hardening FAQ.

I'm not seeing errors otherwise, so it looks like my first guess was wrong. The reason the VM won't work if it creates a window is not because it fails to initialize graphics drivers, it's because the window tries to use a hacked theme - which is quite a rare thing to see with Win10.