[Invalid] Connecting to network via a USB-to-WiFi adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Shad0w

[Invalid] Connecting to network via a USB-to-WiFi adapter

Post by Shad0w »

some time ago I was able to solve the problem with "USB device is busy with previous request" and now I can connect my wifi adapter (tp-link WL-WN772N) to the Vm, but since the adapter is not being used by host machine and I cannot just use "bridged network card" option, I have no idea how to connect the adapter to my wifi, any ideas or hints?

(some info that might be usefull: I disabled all web network cards in settings (of Vm), the VB is running on windows 8.1 host, adapter is connected (Devices----> USB), after using lsusb command in terminal adapter is listed there ) [english is not my first language so sorry for misspellings or grammar mistakes] :oops:
Last edited by socratis on 9. Nov 2019, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Connecting to network via a USB-to-WiFi adapter

Post by scottgus1 »

Shad0w wrote:I can connect my wifi adapter (tp-link WL-WN772N) to the Vm...adapter is connected (Devices----> USB), after using lsusb command in terminal adapter is listed there
Sounds like you have the USB wifi adapter in the guest Linux OS, good.
Shad0w wrote:I have no idea how to connect the adapter to my wifi
This part is not controlled by Virtualbox. You use the guest OS to configure the USB wifi adapter to try to attach to your wifi network, just the same as if the guest OS were a real PC and Virtualbox was not present. Use whatever wifi configuration the guest OS has, or install the tp-link Linux software in the guest OS. Web-search for how to do this in that Linux distro's instructions and forums.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There seems to be some slight confusion... There are two ways that you can use a USB-to-WiFi adapter:
  1. Direct use of the USB-to-WiFi adapter.
    You need to grab the USB device from the Guest. The Host will lose any networking, because the device will be exclusively used by the Guest. See USB basics and troubleshooting on how to properly configure a USB filter and grab the USB-to-WiFi adapter.
  2. Shared use of the USB-to-WiFi adapter, via Bridged-networking mode.
    You need to install VirtualBox while the USB-to-WiFi adapter is plugged-in and recognized/activated by the host, otherwise the VirtualBox filter won't install. Then you assign a NIC of the Guest to Bridged-networking, with the USB-to-WiFi adapter. Both Host and Guest can use the USB-to-WiFi adapter to get an IP.

Beware though that Bridged-over-WiFi can be finicky and depends on the hardware/drivers. If they do not follow the WLAN specifications, it might work. If they do follow the WLAN specifications, it will fail.
PS. I renamed the thread from "Connecting to wifi" to something more descriptive... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shad0w

Post by Shad0w »

(Sorry for posting this after that long time :? )
I have found my adapter driver file (https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/down ... v2/#Driver) for linux and I downloaded it on guest OS but in instructions included in that zip file there is a part that Isn't working for me (or I just don't understand it enough)
2.2. Compile the Driver
Use Terminal to go to the driver directory and run the following commands to compile the driver.
$ make clean
$ make
After compiling, you can see a name of the chip.ko file is stored in the directory of the driver.
so I changed directory to folder containting that Driver file (Unzipped) and I cannot use that commands, any ideas? :oops:
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Any trouble you have installing the device drivers in the guest would have to be solved with the device's help forums, not through Virtualbox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Correctamundo. Since the device is recognized by the VM, compiling a driver is not VirtualBox's problem. There's not a whole lot more we can add to this, you got to follow the instructions in that PDF Installation Guide for Linux...

Marking this as [Invalid].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.