Assistance Needed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
808VirtualBoxUser

Assistance Needed

Post by 808VirtualBoxUser »

Please direct me to someone who can assist; I received a VirtualBox-Critical Error message.
In the Details: ... has zero format.
What do I do now VirtualBox will fail to acquire the VirtualBox COM object, the application will now terminate. Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Assistance Needed

Post by scottgus1 »

See Minimum Info Needed for Assistance
Please post the exact error message as well, typed or copy/pasted so searches can find it.

To help you get underway getting a solution quick you can try searching for the error text (the CAPITALIZED_UNDERSCORE_SPACED_WORDS) in a web browser with the text "site:forums.virtualbox.org" added to restrict searching to this forum, like this:

CAPITALIZED_UNDERSCORE_SPACED_WORDS site:forums.virtualbox.org
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Assistance Needed

Post by socratis »

808VirtualBoxUser wrote:VirtualBox will fail to acquire the VirtualBox COM object, the application will now terminate
That may be due to an incorrect/incomplete VirtualBox installation actually...
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  4. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  5. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  7. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.