[Resolved] 6.0.14 messed up USB function for me

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Resolved] 6.0.14 messed up USB function for me

Post by socratis »

bluescreen70 wrote:But this is new.
Not as far as VirtualBox is concerned. These conditions were always there:
  • VirtualBox itself gets installed in the "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\", which definitely needs Administrator access.
  • VirtualBox ExtPack gets installed in the "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\", which definitely needs Administrator access.
  • VirtualBox kernel drivers are installed in "%System32%\Drivers\", which definitely needs Administrator access.
  • VirtualBox USB/networking filters need to write to special-privilege RegistryKeys, which definitely needs Administrator access.
Maybe something else changed in your setup?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bluescreen70

Post by bluescreen70 »

Maybe something else changed in your setup?
I just tried to reproduce this behavior and did the same installation process with both, 6.0.12 und 6.0.14:
  • Start setup file by double click (without admin rights)
  • Confirm UAC (admin rights required)
  • VB is now installed
  • Start VB with admin rights (right click)
  • Install Extension Pack
  • Start VB with restricted rights for use
Thats how I always did it. And thats how I got this buggy situation some days ago.

But different to last time now even 6.0.14 is working properly with USB support. I don't know what's the difference. In the days between there were only some minor windows updates, especially regarding windows defender. I have no other antivirus.

Hm, in Germany we say: "Da staunt der Laie und der Fachmann wundert sich."

Bye
Ingolf
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Your procedure is what the developers are actually doing.

Here in the forums however, we suggest a more aggressive approach, one that doesn't simply launch the "installer.exe" as a simple/restricted user which is prompted by UAC later on, but with the right-click » "Run As Administrator" (even if you are the Administrator) which prompts you for an Admin password from the get-go. That ensures that all the processes launched belong in the topmost access privilege group. That would be similar to some installers that have a shield in front of their icon, which is becoming more common these days...

I've been personally trying for quite some time to get the developers to implement this, but alas they don't want to unnecessarily increase the privileges without any fundamental reason. Security and all... The difference between the two approaches is that the forum recipe works even with the most stubborn of antivirus/protectors.

[quote="DeepL translated what "bluescreen70""]
DE: Da staunt der Laie und der Fachmann wundert sich.
EN: The layman is amazed and the expert is surprised.[/quote]
Nothing close like that in Greek, we should definitely adopt it, that's a really nice expression... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.