VirtualBox running on host, even though not there

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Quadman65

VirtualBox running on host, even though not there

Post by Quadman65 »

Hello
I downloaded VirtualBox not knowing the program. I then deleted it and when I shut down my computer I see a message that says VirtualBox app will shut down also. So I figured it was because it was in my trash bin so I deleted that also but the same thing happens every time I shut down? Where is this program running and how do I get rid of it?
Not in my Download folder
Not on my desktop
Not in my add/remove programs
Not in my program file folder
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox running on host, even though not there

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Are you sure you downloaded VirtualBox and not some 3rd party software that uses VirtualBox?

What does the Task Manager show on your host? Does it show any process that starts with "VBoxSVC"? Or any "VBox*" process?

I also changed the title of the thread from "Virtual box" to something more appropriate. Please choose the title carefully next time, see The Forum Posting Guide » Choose a sensible title and forum.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

What exactly did you download? What did you delete?

VirtualBox is an application program. You do not delete it, you uninstall it. You cannot uninstall it while it is running. If it is still running, you need to stop it, then uninstall it.

Deleting a virtual machine does not uninstall the program.
Bill
Quadman65

virtualbox interface has active connections

Post by Quadman65 »

I downloaded VirtualBox and ran the setup but never used the program so I deleted it. Not sure why I deleted it the way I did .I deleted the icon then deleted the download then emptied my trash bin :( now when shutting down my PC I get this message ''VirtualBox interface has active connections''? I searched for my VirtualBox PC for and find none :oops: I re-download VirtualBox and tried to uninstall it in add/remove programs hoping it would remove whatever was left behind if any. With no luck
Desktop
Dell
64bit
windows 10 home
Any help will be appreciated
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: virtualbox interface has active connections

Post by scottgus1 »

As I read this:
Quadman65 wrote:I deleted the icon then deleted the download then emptied my trash bin
It sounds like you didn't actually uninstall Virtualbox. You need to go to "This PC" . "Uninstall or change a program" toolbar button.
Quadman65 wrote:I re-download VirtualBox and tried to uninstall it in add/remove programs
I would try:
re-download VirtualBox and try to install it
so the full Virtualbox setup gets put in place, then uninstall it again.

After this, you'll need to clean up your Microsoft MSI installer database. Doing this would be a google-search, not a Virtualbox issue.
Quadman65

Post by Quadman65 »

I understand that I deleted it and didn't uninstall it the correct way. I have installed it again then uninstalled it the correct way using add/remove programs but at shut down or restart I still get the message ''VirtualBox interface has active connections''
So this tells me that VirtualBox interface is still on my PC correct?
Quadman65

Post by Quadman65 »

I downloaded ''VirtualBox'' and I ran the setup but never used the program so I deleted it.
I deleted the icon then deleted the download I am not even sure why I did it that way but I did. I searched my PC for VirtualBox nothing I checked task manager and nothing.
I am pretty sure it was VirtualBox or I wouldn't get this message while shutting down ''VirtualBox interface has active connections''
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Quadman65 wrote:So this tells me that VirtualBox interface is still on my PC correct?
That sure sounds like it. Googling "VirtualBox interface has active connections" with the double quotes shows that many other programs like Vagrant, Docker, Bluestacks, Android emulators, etc. which use Virtualbox can cause that message to appear. One thread suggests there's a vbox service called 'vboxsvc.exe' that may still be running when Windows closes and causes the message.

I have not seen anything to indicate official non-3rd-party-modified Virtualbox causes this message, except for a glitch that crept up about versions 5.1 & 5.2. So you'll need to see what other programs you may have installed which might have installed Virtualbox too.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Quadman's running double threads on this subject. Arrgghh.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95869
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Quadman's running double threads on this subject. Arrgghh.
And that's why the two threads got merged.

'Quadman65', keep in mind that according to the The Forum Posting Guide, duplicate posts are not allowed. In this case your 2nd duplicate wasn't deleted because by the time I realized it, there were already responses. I had to merge the two threads.
scottgus1 wrote:So you'll need to see what other programs you may have installed which might have installed Virtualbox too.
Follow that advice. Actually this was the very first question I asked you too as well when you opened the original thread about 2 months ago:
socratis wrote:Are you sure you downloaded VirtualBox and not some 3rd party software that uses VirtualBox?
So, start the search in your "Programs and Features" and start uninstalling...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.