[Resolved] Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet'

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Junaidhk

[Resolved] Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet'

Post by Junaidhk »

I am trying to install a Primavera appliance demo in VirtalBox.

Host: Windows Server 2016 OS Release: 10.0.17763
Guest: Oracle Linux 6 U7
Machine: Hyper V is blade server ProLiant BL460c Gen8
Network Adapter: Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter
VirtualBox Version: 6.0.13 r133800

After installation of VirtualBox, i have imported appliance successfully.
When i click on start, i get the following error:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine oracle-primavera-v188-ol67-appliance.

Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I have gone through various forums but not able to get it working.

Appreciate any help to resolve the issue.
screenshot of appliance in VBox
screenshot of appliance in VBox
VBox_appliance.PNG (97.1 KiB) Viewed 45230 times
Attachments
VBox.log
VBox log file error
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Last edited by socratis on 19. Oct 2019, 10:43, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR).

Post by scottgus1 »

See on your screenshot, the guest Network settings? It says,
Adapter 1: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (Bridged Adapter, en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet)
This means the adapter is trying to Bridge to the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter, and you apparently don't have one.

In the guest Network settings, under the "Name:" dropdown, pick an Ethernet adapter you do have, the one that you're plugged into.

(Note that if all you have in the dropdown is a Wifi adapter, Bridged may not always work with a Wifi adapter, because of to-the-letter implementation of the Wifi protocols by either the wifi adapter driver or the access point firmware. Technically Wifi cannot Bridge, but some combinations of wifi adapter drivers and access point firmware implement these protocols in a lax fashion so Bridged can squeeze through. This is a limitation of Wi-fi, not caused by Virtualbox. If it works where you are, good. If you can't get a good network trying to Bridge with a wifi adapter, you'll have to go to wired Ethernet on the host PC.)
Junaidhk

Re: Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR).

Post by Junaidhk »

In the Guest Network, under Name: there is only 1 option => Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter.

If i select "Host-only Adapter" i have options available as "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter". But even after selecting it, the "OK" option to accept it is greyed out and cannot be selected.

It doesnt allow me to change any Adapter configuration.
Attachments
Host-Only Adapter screenshot
Host-Only Adapter screenshot
NetHostAdap1.PNG (29.73 KiB) Viewed 45216 times
Bridge Adapter screenshot
Bridge Adapter screenshot
NetAdap1.PNG (29.9 KiB) Viewed 45216 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Junaidhk wrote:Machine: Hyper V is blade server ProLiant BL460c Gen8
Network Adapter: Microsoft Hyper-V Network Adapter
Is the OS you installed Virtualbox in an Hyper-V virtual machine? If so, this is nested virtualization, which is supposed to work only under very special circumstances. See the Virtualbox manual, section 9.35

If it will work, you might have to Bridge to the Hyper-V network adapter, as that appears to be all you've got. If it works, good. If it doesn't, there is probably not anything we can do. You might try putting the appliance in the Hyper-V environment.

One other thing, there's a warning in your screenshots "Invalid Settings Detected". See what that says.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Is the OS you installed Virtualbox in an Hyper-V virtual machine?
Yes, it is:
00:00:16.863666 DMI Product Name: Virtual Machine
@'Junaidhk', as 'scottgus1' right-on-the-money commented:
scottgus1 wrote:If so, this is nested virtualization, which is supposed to work only under very special circumstances.
And those special circumstances are currently VirtualBox-on-VirtualBox. If it's VirtualBox-on-Anything, then you got to start from the "Anything" part...
scottgus1 wrote:there's a warning in your screenshots "Invalid Settings Detected". See what that says.
If you zoom in, that's a Warning sign (triangle) over a Processor one. I guess some "Enable PAE/NX" enabled feature, which might not work due to the fact that it's a virtualized-host... ;)

Marking as [NotSupported].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Junaidhk

Re: [NotSupported] Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet'

Post by Junaidhk »

@socratis,scottgus1, appreciate your feedback.

I have informed ny admin team to import the .ova file directly as a VM and they have managed to do that and have made the VM up and running.

Thank you all for your assistance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [NotSupported] Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet'

Post by socratis »

Junaidhk wrote:import the .ova file directly as a VM and they have managed to do that and have made the VM up and running
That configuration is definitely supported, changing the marking from [NotSupported] to [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.