Windows Server 2016 Crashes after editing Registry.pol

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dk3498

Windows Server 2016 Crashes after editing Registry.pol

Post by dk3498 »

Hi Everyone, I am currently developing a script (in Python and in YML for Ansible playbooks) in my Ubuntu machine to command my Windows 2016 Server to convert it's Machine Registry.pol file into a registry.txt file. It is then sent to my ubuntu machine to be edited. After editing it, the registry.txt file will be sent back to the Windows 2016 Server so that it can be converted back to registry.pol and it is used to replace the current registry.pol for the machine folder. After this the script calls the gpupdate /force command in the Windows 2016 Server to enforce the new settings stored in the registry.txt. The settings are enforced as I could see that in the Windows machine the registry values are updated, however I noticed that any changes on the Group Policy Editor GUI would not update the registry.pol as no new entries will be formed. In addition to this, when I restart the Windows machine, I noticed that it will crash. I have revert back to a previous snapshot and the crash appears to happen every time my script tries to edit and enforce the new registry.pol. I have uploaded the VBox.log if it helps.

Edit: Will add a google drive link once I clock 1 day of being a member.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows Server 2016 Crashes after editing Registry.pol

Post by scottgus1 »

No Google Drive links needed. Logs should be zipped and posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Your issue is not a Virtualbox problem. Hardware providers, like Gigabyte, Biostar, MSI, and Virtualbox (virtual hardware, but 'hardware' none the less) cannot control or fix what a script you wrote does to your operating systems. Rather, asking on a Windows forum is a better idea. (Or as Socratis would put it, a BetterIdea™).

Once Virtualbox is running your guest OS and is networking your OS's so files can be transferred, Virtualbox's job is done:
HGTTG wrote:Probability factor of 1 to 1 achieved. We have normality. Anything you still cannot deal with is therefore your own problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Server 2016 Crashes after editing Registry.pol

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Or as Socratis would put it, a BetterIdea™
Couldn't have ™-ed better it myself! :D

@dk3498, as 'scottgus1' said, just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem. You're having an issue that has absolutely nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.