VBoxHeadless high CPU

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cableghost2

VBoxHeadless high CPU

Post by cableghost2 »

When my guest machine is in headless mode, VBoxHeadless consumes 7-15% host CPU constantly, when in normal mode with no applications running in the VM, there's little to no host CPU activity. Why is this?

VirtualBox: 6.0.12 r133076 (Qt5.6.2), with latest Guest Tools
Host: Windows 10 x64 Pro
Guest: Windows 10 x64 Pro

Scott
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBoxHeadless high CPU

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

Bonus if you include a similar log from when you're not running headless.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cableghost2

Post by cableghost2 »

Please logs attached. Thanks for the help.

Note that in order to not interfere with the headless process, I started the VM with auto user login, if it makes a difference.
Attachments
WINVM-2019-09-30-20-53-24_normal.zip
Running in Normal mode
(37.92 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
WINVM-2019-09-30-21-03-18_headless.zip
Running in Headless mode
(33.98 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

3D acceleration enabled doesn't seem like a good idea for a headless VM. By definition it must cause a switch to software rendering.
cableghost2

Post by cableghost2 »

Not certain if this was a cause, but disabling both 3D and 2D, CPU usage down in headless mode.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It used to be the case up until recently, that starting a VM headless with 3D acceleration on, would crash the VM! I guess that got fixed silently but still results in high-CPU usage? ;)

As mpack said, you don't need graphics acceleration in a headless VM, your RDP client won't use/take advantage of them.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.