The medium can't be used as the requested device type.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
skarz

The medium can't be used as the requested device type.

Post by skarz »

I'm running VirtualBox 5.2 on Ubuntu MATE. Every time I try to select a disc image to install, I get the following error:
Failed to open the disk image file /home/***/Documents/32bit/Debian 9.7 (32bit).vdi.

The medium '/home/***/Documents/32bit/Debian 9.7 (32bit).vdi' can't be used as the requested device type.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MediumWrap Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
Callee: IVirtualBox {9570b9d5-f1a1-448a-10c5-e12f5285adad}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: The medium can't be used as the requested device type.

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

Read my signature. Nobody got hacked by their username alone, and there's nothing potentially dangerous in the logs, so don't to obfuscate them.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
skarz

Post by skarz »

Here's the log output. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Raspbian-2019-09-30-09-43-21.log.zip
(19.78 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just re-read that part carefully:
skarz wrote:Every time I try to select a disc image to install
What do you mean "to install"? When you're asked for a disk image, an ISO? And you're selecting a VDI?

I may be wrong, but you sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.

BTW, there's not a single "Debian 9.7 (32bit).vdi" reference in the log that you attached...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
skarz

Post by skarz »

Yes install... Like install an operating system. I have tried to insert a .iso and .img into the optical drive and I get the same error, every time.

And yes I downloaded the .vdi from https://www.osboxes.org/debian/

https://i.imgur.com/pCgRzb8.png

socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If the message says not supported, then it's not in a proper format to install. You're downloading the wrong thing. Make sure you're downloading a proper bootable ISO.

Sticking a CD on your physical computer won't make it boot from that CD, unless it's the proper format. For example, my latest CD from the "Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra" won't boot, I tried it and failed many times... ;)