Unable to start VMs after restore

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
veg

Unable to start VMs after restore

Post by veg »

Hi all :-)

I have do perform a Rollback (using Rollback RX) yesterday night. The VMs are located in F: drive which is not affected by Rollback.
I have opened the VirtualBox, clicked machine > add and then I have tried to select one of the VMs (IE11 - Win7.vbox)
I get the following error message:
Failed to open virtual machine located in F:/Virtual Machine/IE11 - Win7/IE11 - Win7.vbox

A differencing image of snapshot {41941d27-917f-4882-a368-049cae701f3d} could not be found. Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {bde68043-8ff1-492b-a27d-b1134367a3a2}.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SnapshotMachine
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Can someone please help me out? thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to start VMs after restore

Post by socratis »

veg wrote:The VMs are located in F: drive which is not affected by Rollback.
You mean that you don't take a backup of the VMs with Rollback, right?
veg wrote:I have opened the VirtualBox, clicked machine > add
Why did you try to "Add" a VM? Wasn't that VM already present/registered with VirtualBox?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
veg

Post by veg »

Yes. Rollback RX is configured to take snapshots of C drive only. I had to restore to the beginning of September, while the VirtualBox was empty.

The VMs were created 1-2 days ago in F:\ drive so the rollback does not change any data in that drive.
Last edited by socratis on 30. Sep 2019, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
veg

Post by veg »

Another issue:
I tried to add Cyberops Workstation VM which I was using... another error pops up
Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {387bb7c5-bc41-4713-bf8d-043b45da4e98}.

Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
veg

Post by veg »

I'm currently installing everything again...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

veg wrote:I'm currently installing everything again...
That won't change the situation...

I need to see the following as a first step:
  1. The file "C:\Users\<you>\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml". Note the period in the ".VirtualBox".
  2. The output of the following command when run from the Command Prompt:
    • dir /s "F:/Virtual Machine/"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
veg

Post by veg »

Of course, it will... it worked.
Before doing that, I managed to fix the cyber ops VM using this guide http://blog.htxiong.com/2013/06/resolve ... -open.html
Then I wanted to apply the same method on the Win7 VMs but those had snapshots... so I tried to create a new UUID for the hard disk and for each snapshot. I have updated it but it didn't work. So I have deployed 2 new VMs.
Last edited by socratis on 30. Sep 2019, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I have no clue what you're describing here, only that you linked to a 6-year old blog post...
veg

Post by veg »

socratis wrote:I have no clue what you're describing here, only that you linked to a 6-year old blog post...
The solution of this 6-year old solved the issue with the Cyberops VM.

As for the Win7 VMs - I have created a new UUID for the virtual hard disk and for each snapshot and then I edited the file, but it didn't work.
Here is an example:
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage.exe internalcommands sethduuid "D:\NewVM\myDisk1.vdi" >>> you will get a new UUID for the vdi file (hard disk / snapshot)