Issue to clone VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
HuaMin
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Oracle linux

Issue to clone VM

Post by HuaMin »

Hi,
What is reason to error below to clone VM?
Could not create the clone medium 'z:\vms\ubuntu-18.04.2\190927-disk1.vdi' (VERR_IO_GEN_FAILURE).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Issue to clone VM

Post by socratis »

HuaMin wrote:VERR_IO_GEN_FAILURE
My guess would be a problem with the hard disk. What's "Z:\"? Internal/External/Network? What's the filesystem?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
HuaMin

Post by HuaMin »

Z is network drive, that is linked to one WD Cloud External HD.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Try to clone the VM to something local, there seems to be an issue with "Z:\"...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

IMHO the most likely reason is that the user who owns the account VirtualBox is logged into does not have write/create permission on that network folder.
HuaMin

Post by HuaMin »

mpack wrote:IMHO the most likely reason is that the user who owns the account VirtualBox is logged into does not have write/create permission on that network folder.
But I can copy files into such Z drive, having no problem at all.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not in the "Z:\" drive in general, specifically in the VM folder. Once again:
socratis wrote:What's the filesystem?
And once again:
socratis wrote:Try to clone the VM to something local
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't think the filesystem question really applies here. The think the "WD MyCloud" works like a NAS (not just an external HD), so we're talking about a network share over Ethernet or WiFi. I.e. a software API, not a filesystem. This is a guess btw: I came across the MyCloud when I was shopping for a NAS, but in the end I went for a Synology DS918+ instead. The MyCloud was a convenient package, but not officially expandable, and long term support was questionable too. More of a throwaway consumer product.

NASes I've used are quite finicky about permissions, with every individual user needing the appropriate set of permissions to each share. A tool on the NAS allows these to be configured.