[Resolved] all to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ronish

[Resolved] all to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Post by ronish »

Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Last edited by socratis on 29. Sep 2019, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: all to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm going to assume the above is part of a Virtualbox error message, since it looks familiar. You don't actually mention where it came from, or whether you're asking a question about the error message, or if you have this error message as a result of trying to run a guest. If your keyboard is set to Twitter mode, set it back to verbose mode.

See Minimum Info Needed for Assistance
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: all to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Post by mpack »

Or better yet, search for the error code and find one of the many previous answers to this question.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=VERR ... by+licence
sethcstenzel

Post by sethcstenzel »

I also started getting this error just this week. I was using my VM's fine on Tuesday, and by today started getting this error.
The only thing I can think of that I have changed on my system, is that I am part of the windows insider program, and there was a windows update mid week. I didn't test my virtual machines after it, but that is the only thing I can think of that I changed. Now none of my VM's will start.

I searched the forums and tried many of the fixes from previous posts for errors, which were all VERY old posts, but none resolved my issues.

I have tried enabling various settings for the VM's, I've tried creating brand new VM's, I've tried enabling and disabling Hyper-V features for windows, I've made sure all of my drivers are up to date, etc.
00:00:04.039150 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
Attachments
Logs.zip
(24.95 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

sethcstenzel wrote:which were all VERY old posts
The VERR_NEM_xxxx message category was introduced in VirtualBox v6.0.0, first released less than a year ago, so any previous hits cannot possibly be VERY old posts, unless the person making that claim is less than one year old him/herself (since most of us relate the passage of time to our age).
sethcstenzel

Post by sethcstenzel »

I was not searching specifically for the end of the error, but every part of it, which included many posts referencing WHvSetupPartition since that is the first error in the message.

And the first result on the google search link already provided didn't give me the answer, nor did another. However after you said that, I read through the first 4 links on the result instead of just two, and one of the posts did have a few more things to turn off. Turns out for me it looks like WSL may have been the issue. Though I don't understand how since I have been using WSL for months and my VM's have been working just fine along side it.
Application Guard
Credential Guard
Device Guard
<any> * Guard
Containers
Hyper-V
Virtual Machine Platform
Windows Hypervisor Platform
Windows Sandbox
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) - Seems to have done it for me.
If that doesn't work, enter the following command:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
So apparently a windows update must have turned something on that was not on. This is pretty annoying since before this week WSL and Virtual box worked just fine together on my machine as far as I'm aware.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As the FAQ says, the problem is with the recently updated version of WSL known as WSL2, which now relies on Win10 virtualization. WSL1 was not a VM platform, it was more akin to Wine on Linux.
ronish

Post by ronish »

scotguss1 wrote:above is part of a Virtualbox error message, since it looks familiar. You don't actually mention where it came from, or whether you're asking a question about the error message, or if you have this error message as a result of trying to run a guest. If your keyboard is set to Twitter mode, set it back to verbose mode.
Error message fires as soon as you bring up a guest vm, any guest vm. Made the mistake of letting Windows 10 get upgraded to the latest and greatest.

Makes sense that it might have something to do with Windows/Linux support. Turn that OFF.

Apologies for not being more explicit. No longer in Twitter Mode.
ronish

Post by ronish »

turned off windows/Linux wsl
Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
no change
ronish

Post by ronish »

Application Guard
Credential Guard
Device Guard
<any> * Guard
Containers
Hyper-V
Virtual Machine Platform
Windows Hypervisor Platform
Windows Sandbox
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) - Seems to have done it for me.
If that doesn't work, enter the following command:
Did ALL of the above. Did the trick. Don't ask me which one did it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Good, glad you're up and running!

This:

has been the silver bullet in my perusal of successful fixes to this issue. The command seems to hit the foundation for all the other possibilities.
ronish

Re: [Resolved] all to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Post by ronish »

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off …… Did this one, didn't make a difference with me

Actual turning OFF each and every option above is what worked for me
angelleye

Re: [Resolved] all to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Post by angelleye »

ronish wrote:bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off …… Did this one, didn't make a difference with me

Actual turning OFF each and every option above is what worked for me
I was having the same error. I disabled everything in Windows Features in the list above and that didn't help me (although, not everything in the list was showing up on my machine.)

I then tried this command in PowerShell, and after rebooting my VM is loading. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

angelleye wrote:although, not everything in the list was showing up on my machine
For future readers:
  • This is a list of everything known, not everything installed/enabled on your host, that varies depending on the host version/option/family.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
montereyjack

Post by montereyjack »

IF USING WINDOWS 10 :

Disable Memory Integrity in Core Isolation Details under Device Security in Windows Security Settings.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (45.28 KiB) Viewed 12714 times
Then
4.png
4.png (77.76 KiB) Viewed 12714 times
This fixed it for me right away.