How to get Menu tool bar back

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Docfxit
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP Pro, Win7, Win10

How to get Menu tool bar back

Post by Docfxit »

I'm currently trying to set up VirtualBox in host Windows 10 client MacOS Mojave HFS, however, I'm not able to get the menu tool bar on the top line or the icons on bottom of the screen or the menu selection with <right ctrl> Home to appear no matter what fixes I try to apply. So far I have tried multiple fixes from Stack Overflow and the VirtualBox forum, including;

Editing the VirtualBox.xml file to include (as mentioned here):

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/Toolbar" value="true"/>

Tried inserting this manually via the editor, as well as over the console via;

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/Toolbar true

After inserting the line (via editor or console) the file remains unchanged when restarting VirtualBox and restarting the Ubuntu-VM, though the menu bar doesn't appear. When shutting down the VM and closing VirtualBox afterwards, the file gets recreated and the inserted line is removed.

Additionally I've tried using this console command:

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/Customizations MenuBar,StatusBar

which ends up adding the following line to VirtualBox.xml file:

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/Customizations" value="MenuBar,StatusBar"/>

It also doesn't bring up the menu bar, though, for some reason this line always remains in the .xml file even when it gets recreated, as described above.

I've also tried;

bringing up the mini menu with <Right ctrl>+Home - but it doesn't open the mini menu for some reason

In settings, User Interface I have:
https://imgur.com/ot8bKtn

while in scaled or full screen mode inside VirtualBox installed on Windows, when I press <Right Ctrl> + C key combination to exit scaled mode nothing happens.

I have zipped up:
VirtualBox.xml
My.vbox
VirtualBoxConfigure.zip
(3.6 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
No matter what I do I can't get the Menu Tool Bar back or the icons on the bottom of the window.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to get Menu tool bar back

Post by socratis »

Tsk, tsk, tsk... you should know better Docfixit, you've been around for many years...

OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not have). I recently made the "OSX guests on non-Apple hardware" a Global post, which means it shows as first on every forum area, makes me wonder how come you missed it... :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.