[Resolved] Cannot boot (?) from CD/DVD, Windows 10 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Konn0s9O19

[Resolved] Cannot boot (?) from CD/DVD, Windows 10 Host

Post by Konn0s9O19 »

Dear all,

I've been dealing with the following issue since I installed Windows 10 64-bit on my laptop Lenovo G50-80.
I create a virtual machine both for Ubuntu (16.04 and 18.04) 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit as Guests. By the time I start them and insert the ISO operating system file they "freeze".
I have tried different things such as disabling 3D acceleration and increasing the number of processors to two, among others. Nothing worked.

Notably, I didn't deal with any Virtual Box issue when I had Windows 7 64-bit as Host. Everything ran smoothly. However, the only hardware change I did is that I replaced the old HDD drive with a new SSD drive.

I'm attaching the log files for both Ubuntu and Windows.

Best Regards,
Konnos
Attachments
windows-2019-09-18-14-01-23.zip
Windows 7
(14.47 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by socratis on 19. Sep 2019, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot boot (?) from CD/DVD, Windows 10 Host

Post by scottgus1 »

All the guests have this in their logs:
00:00:48.628288 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:48.658135 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
'Tis a known issue: See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests Carefully go through each command in the 2nd & 3rd posts. Based on my perusal of successful fixes for this problem, the silver bullet appears to be the "bcdedit" command & complete power-down in post 2 point 1.
Konn0s9O19

Post by Konn0s9O19 »

@scottgus1 Thank you so much! The reference post helped me understand the nature of the problem. I followed all of the steps mentioned but they were not enough.
However, I figured out that my issue was related to BitDefender which I uninstalled. So now I will have to configure BitDefender so as it won't use Virtualization Technology (or activate it in the background)

Thanks again!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Konn0s9O19 wrote:configure BitDefender so as it won't use Virtualization Technology
Got bit with a BitDefender trial once this way, it used VT-x and wouldn't let Virtualbox use it. There should be a way to stop BitDefender form using VT-x. Glad you found the problem!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Not sure if I should start adding applications one-by-one on the FAQ... :roll:

Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Konn0s9O19

Post by Konn0s9O19 »

UPDATE: I reinstalled BitDefender and VM works normally without configuring anything
socratis wrote:Not sure if I should start adding applications one-by-one on the FAQ... :roll:

Marking as [Resolved].
Maybe that would be a future work :P