IPv6 not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AndiRick

IPv6 not working

Post by AndiRick »

I am using a Win 10 host with Debian Linux 9, on bridged network. My network adapter is a Killer AC 1550 wireless.

When using bridged network, I can not ping any IPv6 address. The ping command hangs.

IPv4 is working. I can ping successfully IPv6 addresses from the Windows host.

What can be done to solve this issue?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: IPv6 not working

Post by scottgus1 »

You'd need to at least see this: Minimum Info Needed for Assistance
AndiRick wrote:When using bridged network, I can not ping any IPv6 address. The ping command hangs.
IPv4 is working.
Does this mean you can ping IPv4 addresses from your guest OS, but you can't ping IPv6, while Bridged to the wi-fi adapter?

Bridged may not always work with a Wifi adapter, due to to-the-letter implementation of the Wifi protocols by either the wifi adapter driver or the access point firmware. Technically Wifi cannot Bridge, but some combinations of wifi adapter drivers and access point firmware implement these protocols in a lax fashion so Bridged can squeeze through.

I don't know if IPv4 and IPv6 have different protocols over Wi-fi, so that IPv4 might get through but IPv6 may be blocked. Can you Bridge to a wired Ethernet on the host, and try the ipv6 ping again?

Also, on my Windows 10 PC's the Windows firewall has separate rules for blocking/allowing ping (ICMP) on IPv4 and IPv6. Are you sure the sites you're trying to ping IPv6 have that ping allowed?
AndiRick

Post by AndiRick »

Does this mean you can ping IPv4 addresses from your guest OS, but you can't ping IPv6, while Bridged to the wi-fi adapter?
Yes.
Also, on my Windows 10 PC's the Windows firewall has separate rules for blocking/allowing ping (ICMP) on IPv4 and IPv6. Are you sure the sites you're trying to ping IPv6 have that ping allowed?
Since I can ping IPv6 from the host, this seems not to be the problem.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you are using a bridged network then VirtualBox plays no role in message routing at the IP level, so I would start considering less obvious blockages.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I tried pinging google's IPv6 address and couldn't connect, could you please post the command you're using to ping ipV6?

Also, how does pinging when Bridged to a wired Ethernet work?
AndiRick

Post by AndiRick »

Neither ping nor ping6 is working for ipv6.google.com on the guest.

On Windows ping ipv6.google.com is working.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, thanks. I tried that ping on my W10 host PC and got nothing; maybe my ISP connection isn't IPv6-compatible?

Code: Select all

C:\Users\SnC>ping ipv6.google.com
Ping request could not find host ipv6.google.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\SnC>ping -6 ipv6.google.com

Pinging ipv6.l.google.com [2607:f8b0:4006:819::200e] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4006:819::200e:
    Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 0, Lost = 3 (100% loss),

C:\Users\SnC>ping ipv6.l.google.com

Pinging ipv6.l.google.com [2607:f8b0:4006:819::200e] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4006:819::200e:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 0, Lost = 2 (100% loss),
Seems I can resolve to a slightly different IP website but can't connect. Guess I'm not going to be able to help on this one, sorry.
treysis

Post by treysis »

Same problem here. Used to work when I changed network adapter to Intel MT Server instead of Desktop, but that stopped working now for some reason unknown to me.

I think it depends on the WiFi adapter. Some might work, some might not.

@scottgus1 You obviously have no IPv6. Either not at all, or wrongly configured.