How to import an existing Windows 2000 into Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Stofken

How to import an existing Windows 2000 into Virtualbox

Post by Stofken »

I can no longer find VMware Standalone Converter version 4.0.1 to create an OVF from an existing Windows 2000 SP4 computer and there is no software that I can find that can be installed on W2K to create an image that can be imported into Virtualbox.

1/ Does any one have any suggestions on how to virtualize a Windows 2000 pc into Virtualbox?
2/ Can I attach the IDE/ATA disk via USB to a Windows 10 computer and do a virtualization via that computer?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to import an existing Windows 2000 into Virtualbox

Post by scottgus1 »

Disk2VHD has been the go-to for what you're trying to do, called a Physical to Virtual or a P2V. I don't know if it will work on 2000. Try a google "P2V Windows 2000 site:forums.virtualbox.org"

If you can take the drive out and attach it to a PC, then you can use Mpack's CloneVDI to make a .vdi file that can be used directly by Virtualbox. Read the instructions with that program on how to make a "clone" of a physical drive.

You will have some Frankenstein moments as you do this. You're essentioally taking the memory from the brain of one PC and putting it in another PC. Hardware will all be different. Feel free to ask any questions, and google to your heart's content.
Stofken

Post by Stofken »

Hi Scott,
Thank you for your reply. I can attach this HDD via an IDE to USB cable to a Windows 10 pc.
I will install CloneDVI on that one and try to create a vdi file to import in VirtualBox.

Regarding your analogy, isn't the image totally isolated from the host? So it has no impact on the host. If you transfer a brain, you alter the host.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The physical PC Virtualbox is installed on is the host, and the OS's that get installed in the Virtualbox windows are the guests. So the host will remain unaltered, and the image you make from your old W2000 hard drive will be used in a guest. Yes the host won't be affected by the image. The OS in the image will wake up and find itself in a different 'body' - all the 'hardware' provided by Virtualbox is quite likely different than what W2000 was running before. And Virtualbox presents virtual hardware to the guest OS: the guest OS will not see your host's motherboard or network cards or anything else, except the CPU itself - the CPU is the only physical hardware the guest OS sees.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It may not be necessary to remove the drive from the W2K PC, as CloneVDI will quite possibly run on W2K. After all it was originally designed for XP, which isn't that far removed. CloneVDI does have a manifest that tells the OS that it's XP "look" compatible (it doesn't require the classic look), but I don't think that stops it running on W2K.

Read the release notes, particularly the section on P2V. Write the VDI clone to an external drive that can handle >4GB files (i.e. not FAT).
Stofken

Post by Stofken »

@scottgus1 Ok, your analogy now makes perfect sense :D

@mpack I have looked at CloneVDI but as far as I can tell, this can only clone or modify a VDI image.
How do I create the initial virtual image of the Windows 2000 pc?

If CloneVDI might not run on W2K, I have read that it is not possible to create an image when the old disk is attached via USB to the more modern computer as virtualisation software does not expect USB attached drives to hold an OS.
Whats your experience?
Will I need to attach the IDE drive directly to a SATA bus via an adaptor?

Disk2VHD seems to create a VHD file that can be imported directly into Virtualbox but it does not run on W2K.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Stofken wrote: @mpack I have looked at CloneVDI but as far as I can tell, this can only clone or modify a VDI image.
How do I create the initial virtual image of the Windows 2000 pc?
As I said, read the P2V section in the release notes.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Stofken wrote:I have read that it is not possible to create an image when the old disk is attached via USB
You should be able to post links now, so you can let us know where it says that, but I don't believe it. If the cloning software gets onto the disk and makes a virtual drive file from it, then the type of attachment the source drive has should not matter. I suspect it will not matter with CloneVDI and your disk on a USB adapter. Just read Mpack's instructions carefully and you should get a good VDI for Virtualbox to use.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Incidentally. Now is the time, before you create the image, to prepare the system for imaging, e.g. running MergeIDE as recommended in the migration tutorial Migrate an existing XP install.
Stofken

Post by Stofken »

mpack wrote:ould be able to post links now, so you can let us know where it says that, but I don't believe it. If the cloning software gets onto the disk and makes a virtual drive file from it, then the type of attachment the source drive has should not matter. I suspect it will not matter with CloneVDI and your disk on a USB a
I have just downloaded the zip and read the entire Release Notes and especially the section Using CloneVDI to do a P2V ("Physical To Virtual" Disk Conversion).
I have started the program but under source, I have no idea what to select. I have tried \\.\PhysicalDrive0 but that is invalid on my Windows 10 machine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Use Disk Management to figure out which disk # your USB-attached disk is, then put that # in \\.\PhysicalDrive#

And if you can still boot the old Windows 2000 PC, heed Mpack's advice about booting it up and running MergeIDE, will save you some trouble,
Stofken

Post by Stofken »

scottgus1 wrote:Use Disk Management to figure out which disk # your USB-attached disk is, then put that # in \\.\PhysicalDrive#
The Windows 2000 PC is at the office of a client so I just tested this on my own pc. Boot disk is 0 but I get the error Windows cannot access \\PhysicalDrive0
Error code 0x80070035
The network path was not found.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

scottgus1 wrote:Use Disk Management to figure out which disk # your USB-attached disk is
Do this on the PC you're working on now.
Stofken

Post by Stofken »

I am and that is the error I get.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK. I'm assuming you have a Windows host PC. In a command prompt, type the command:
diskpart
You may get a UAC elevation warning, click Yes.

A different command window may (will?) open, with the title C:\Windows\system32\diskpart.exe and a command prompt 'DISKPART>'. Enter this command:
list disk
and copy the command output in your next post. Please also indicate which disk is the USB-attached Windows 2000 drive.
Last edited by socratis on 14. Sep 2019, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability