Virtualbox hangs on VM start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Kerik

Virtualbox hangs on VM start

Post by Kerik »

Hi,

I have installed VB 6 on a HP zBook Studio G5 laptop and have downloaded a few VM's (Ubunti, kali). I have tried both 64 bit and 32 bit guest OS'es. Whenever I try to start a VM it will run for a few seconds and then just stop and go to a black screen or frozen screen.

I get no error messages or anything. Log is attached. I have also attached a screen shot of the hung Ubunti VM.

Any idea of what might be causing this?

Kind regards
Kenneth
Attachments
Screen shot hung Ubuntu
Screen shot hung Ubuntu
VB hang.png (24.59 KiB) Viewed 721 times
vboxlog.zip
VB log
(15.61 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox hangs on VM start

Post by scottgus1 »

This is in your log:
00:00:02.360214 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.412795 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
'Tis a known problem. See the green turtle in the status bar? The choice of animal is significant. The guest is actually running. You may need to wait a little while, though. Until around 2023....

Microsoft Hyper-V is active and the consequences thereof to Virtualbox means extremely slow guests. See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests Carefully go through each command in the 2nd & 3rd posts. Based on my perusal of successful fixes for this problem, the silver bullet appears to be the "bcdedit" command & complete power-down in post 2 point 1.
Kerik

Post by Kerik »

Thanks for pointing me to that post. I am reviewing it now. Unfortunately it seems that some of the settings mentioned are locked by my organisation and I won't be able to change them...

Kind regards
Kenneth
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If your IT department has locked things down, then you'll have to make a business case to the boss to get IT to unlock them for your work. If the boss doesn't go to bat for you, then you may be stuck...

If it's Antivirus that is locked down, Socratis pointed out that some AV uses VT-x & blocks Virtualbox too. Try to look into that.