Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
liubo

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Post by liubo »

This virtual Machine could work months ago, when I try to open it today, it can not work. I try to update to the latest version (VirtualBox-6.0.10-132072-Win), but it still can not work.

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine F

The virtual machine 'F' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
Any one can help?
Thanks a lot !!
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
log
(13.15 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
screenshot
screenshot
微信图片_20190911163608.png (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine

Post by scottgus1 »

Looks like you're running Windows 10 and you have McAffee antivirus & firewall installed. 3rd-party AV & security programs can interfere with Virtualbox. Try uninstalling them to see if Virtualbox will run. Windows' own built-in AV & firewall work great and don't fight the OS or Virtualbox.

Also see Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues. Post 4 and the last paragraph in post 3 may be pertinent.
liubo

Post by liubo »

Thanks for reply, yes, my system is win10. After I unistall McAffee, it still shows "Failed to open a session for the virtual machine". Here is the log.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
latest log
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by socratis on 13. Sep 2019, 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, the Mcaffee is gone. But you still have the exit code 0x1. See the linked tutorial, last sentence of my earlier post.

I don't know if it is the problem - those hardening logs have no interpretation tutorial - but you may need a video driver upgrade:
4030.278c: supR3HardenedScreenImage/Imports: -22900 (was 22900) fWinVerifyTrust=1 for '\Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll'
4030.278c: Error (rc=0):
4030.278c: supR3HardenedScreenImage/Imports: cached rc=Unknown Status -22900 (0xffffa68c) fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 cHits=2 \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll
liubo

Post by liubo »

I received this message in Windows 10 while trying to run "sfc /scannow" from post 4 of tutorial:
'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.'
btw, how to update the video driver?
Attachments
CBS.rar
cbs_log
(108.09 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Fixing the sfc error will be a Microsoft thing, not a Virtualbox thing. Forum guru Socratis posted some links to offsite articles on how to fix sfc issues recently, but I can't find them. Google will be your friend unless Socratis happens along to this thread.

Update the video driver on your host PC, not in the guest.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Socratis posted some links to offsite articles on how to fix sfc issues recently, but I can't find them
Both are from Microsoft:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Links duly copied for further use, thanks!
liubo

Post by liubo »

After fixing the sfc error and updating the video driver I still can not open the virtual machine.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(10.64 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

e64.4234: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 1482 ms, the end);
You're still having a hardening problem. As it has been said, you're the one sitting in front of your computer and can check and see what's installed in there that might interfere. To the rest of us the VBoxHardening.log might help, but not always...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.