Setting up network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
btremaine

Setting up network

Post by btremaine »

I have a debian VM on my Windows 10 host. I do not know how to connect to the network (wireless adapter). When I installed debian it couldn't find disk 2 on the network so it did a minimal install.

My wireless LAN adapter has IPv4 address 10.0.0.247 and my gateway is 10.0.0.1
My network/interfaces file has address 10.0.0.247 and gateway 10.0.0.1. I also have lines dns-search 8.8.8.8 and dns-search 8.8.4.4

In the VM setup I selected bridged network. The attached file shows the output of the ip -a command.

Thanks,
Attachments
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (13.23 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Setting up network

Post by socratis »

Bridged-over-WiFi doesn't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work (the ones that don't follow the specification exactly), some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience.

Try to see if it works either with Bridged-over-Ethernet, or with NAT.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
btremaine

Post by btremaine »

I'll give NAT a try.
More info: Even a ping to my host gateway (10.0.0.1) doesn't return data. In my host cmd window a ping gateway 10.0.0.1 works. My objective of the connection is to be able to update my debian OS and to have access to github.

Brian
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

btremaine wrote:Even a ping to my host gateway (10.0.0.1) doesn't return data
If you don't get an IP it's rather difficult to ping anything. Not possible actually...
btremaine wrote:My objective of the connection is to be able to update my debian OS and to have access to github.
NAT can do that for you. You shouldn't have changed the template default if you didn't know what all the options do. At least you could have consulted the User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
btremaine

Post by btremaine »

Further clarification,
On my host the wifi lan adapter has IPv4 10.0.0.247 and gateway 10.0.0.1. On my host I can ping both of these and get data.
On the VM (having changed to NAT) I can ping 10.0.0.247 and get good data but pinging 10.0.0.1 returns "from 10.0.0.247 icmp_seq=25 Destination Host Unreachable".

~Brian
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Try the following "commands" from a Command Prompt on your guest. I've included a sample output, with only the parameters that you should be focusing on:
$ ifconfig
enp0s3    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:40:51:1a  
          inet addr:10.0.2.15  Bcast:10.0.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

$ route -n
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         10.0.2.2        0.0.0.0         UG    100    0        0 enp0s3
or if you prefer "nmcli":
$ nmcli d show
GENERAL.DEVICE:   enp0s3
GENERAL.HWADDR:   08:00:27:40:51:1a   <-- all VirtualBox NICs start with that number
IP4.ADDRESS[1]:   10.0.2.15/24
IP4.GATEWAY:      10.0.2.2
IP4.DNS[1]:       1.1.1.1
Once you have the key values, try the following commands:
> ping <DefaultGateway>             <-- tests your connectivity
> ping <DNSserver>                  <-- tests your DNS server
> ping 1.1.1.1                      <-- tests outgoing connectivity
> ping download.virtualbox.org      <-- tests name resolution
If you can "ping <DefaultGateway>", if you can "ping <DNSserver>", if you can "ping 1.1.1.1", if you can "ping download.virtualbox.org", VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity. Look in your host for firewalls, proxies, antivirus filters, web-cleaning applications, redirectors, etc.
Cyberwarrior_HDC

Post by Cyberwarrior_HDC »

VirtualBox Network Configuration:
I am using VirtualBox, installed Kali Linux, Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit) and Windows 10. I have connected my ethernet cable to a switch where other 3 different type of OS is connected (Win 7 and Red Hat). I configured the Network from VirtualBox as NAT Network and Bridgeed Adapter (Adapter 1 and Adapter 2 respectively). Now I can ping from my Kali Linux to VirtualBox Windows 7 but cannot Ping Windows 7 connected to my switch. Can you please suggest the best Network Configuration in VirtualBox so that I can Ping all the connected devices to my network from my VirtualBox Kali Linux, please?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Cyberwarrior_HDC wrote:Can you please suggest the best Network Configuration
Sure enough can, if you can suggest why you used ie. hijacked someone else's thread instead of starting a new topic. See Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose your title carefully.
Cyberwarrior_HDC

Post by Cyberwarrior_HDC »

Hello and thank you for telling me that, since I have no idea how to post a new thread.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Cyberwarrior_HDC's thread/problem continues on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94644