Windows 2016 VM as VirtualBox host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KevinC

Windows 2016 VM as VirtualBox host

Post by KevinC »

We've got a VMware VM running Windows Server 2016 Standard for an OS. 32 GB RAM, 4 cores. We've installed VirtualBox 6.0.10. Installation goes fine and VirtualBox starts, but as as soon as you try to start a VM within VirtualBox - either a new machine or one imported regardless of OS of the guest, the entire Windows 2016 host VM crashes and restarts. Nothing gets recorded in the Windows event logs. There is no BSOD. Completely removed Cylance and reinstalled VirtualBox with no change. VBoxHardening log is cryptic at best. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
logs
(15.66 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 2016 VM as VirtualBox host

Post by scottgus1 »

The logs are very cryptic, but the hardening log doesn't end with an exit code, so it never finished running.

Nested virtualization isn't supported, except in certain special situations, see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90831
You need an AMD processor, and Virtualbox as both layers at least. With VMware in the mix, I'd guess all bets are off. Try googling for "Virtualbox in a VMware host site:forums.virtualbox.org" or something similar.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 2016 VM as VirtualBox host

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.448629 DMI Product Name: VMware7,1
That's right, currently the only supported option is: VirtualBox-on-VirtualBox with an AMD CPU host. That's it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.