Birdge network issue /w window guest and ubuntu host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Birdge network issue /w window guest and ubuntu host

Post by scottgus1 »

Knowing that Docker is involved would be the important information here. Docker changes Virtualbox in ways we don't know. We can't know how to support a Docker-modified Virtualbox installation. And if Docker is running in the guest, then all bets are off.

I mentioned a possible troubleshooting step for the network problem here:
scottgus1 wrote:I would ask you to install another guest, Bridged to the same network adapter as your present guest.
You mentioned that you tried:
anil.kumar wrote:Installed a new OS for router
I took that to mean you installed another Virtualbox guest with a router OS (like pfSense, for example) to run side-by-side with your present guest and it didn't work:
anil.kumar wrote:Installed a new OS for router (I was anyway planning to do that). Still didn't work.
I guess I misunderstood. This was apparently a firmware upgrade for your network router, rather than another Virtualbox guest.

So I will re-request the "new guest" troubleshooting step, as mentioned above. Please install another guest, and monitor its netowrk connectivity when the first guest looses network. If the second guest keeps network when the first loses it, then the problem with the first guest is in the guest OS itself.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The combination of Ubuntu 19.04 as guest OS with docker installed may be the key here.

@anil.kumar:
Please post the output of 'ifconfig', 'route -n' and 'brctl show', once before the problem and once during the problem.
anil.kumar

Post by anil.kumar »

Yeah, I should have mention the Docker setup earlier. I thought it doesn't matter where I am running the app, but I guess it does.
scottgus1 wrote: I mentioned a possible troubleshooting step for the network problem here:
scottgus1 wrote:I would ask you to install another guest, Bridged to the same network adapter as your present guest.
I haven't able to get to it yet. Its in one of my todo list for this. I need to setup my applications on that guest, so it would need sometime. I'll update you as soon as I try this.
scottgus1 wrote: I guess I misunderstood. This was apparently a firmware upgrade for your network router, rather than another Virtualbox guest.
Sorry, I could have been more clear. You guys mentioned that router might be doing something weird so I wanted to take the router out of picture hence I tried that.
fth0 wrote: Please post the output of 'ifconfig', 'route -n' and 'brctl show', once before the problem and once during the problem.
Sure.

Before the problem - After the problem -
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Regarding installing another guest:
anil.kumar wrote:I haven't able to get to it yet. Its in one of my todo list for this. I need to setup my applications on that guest, so it would need sometime
This extra guest is just for checking if the network is still running when your first guest loses network. You don't need to rebuild the failing guest. Just open a web browser & go to a website or a command prompt & ping when the first guest loses its network activity.

The purpose will be to determine if the problem is in the first guest OS or in Virtualbox.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

fth0 wrote:The combination of Ubuntu 19.04 as guest OS with docker installed may be the key here.
The 'ifconfig' and 'brctl show' outputs show no problem with bridging in your case, so I'll discard my 1st theory for now.

The 'route -n' output shows a metric change of +20.000 for the default route. Searching via Google leads to the following links regarding problems with Ubuntu 19.04, network-manager and procps:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkM ... issues/116
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1814262

At the moment, I cannot judge if you have one of those problems, or if the metric is changed as a consequence of another problem.
anil.kumar

Post by anil.kumar »

Sorry for the late reply, I was out on vacation.
scottgus1 wrote: This extra guest is just for checking if the network is still running when your first guest loses network. You don't need to rebuild the failing guest. Just open a web browser & go to a website or a command prompt & ping when the first guest loses its network activity.

The purpose will be to determine if the problem is in the first guest OS or in Virtualbox.
Aah! I was thinking I would have to do my setup on the new OS. It sounds way simpler then that. I have started to try this out. Lets see how it goes. I'll update once I have something to post about it.

fth0 wrote: The 'ifconfig' and 'brctl show' outputs show no problem with bridging in your case, so I'll discard my 1st theory for now.

The 'route -n' output shows a metric change of +20.000 for the default route. Searching via Google leads to the following links regarding problems with Ubuntu 19.04, network-manager and procps:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkM ... issues/116
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1814262

At the moment, I cannot judge if you have one of those problems, or if the metric is changed as a consequence of another problem.
I would have to read some more about it. So far, I have tried sudo ifmetric enp0s17 100 when I got this problem, but that didn't work. Also, I did notice that this metric being changed every time I have seen this problem after you pointed this out.

Furthermore, I tried to move the application out of the docker container. I still saw this network issue (original problem) . So, I guess docker isn't the problem here.
anil.kumar

Post by anil.kumar »

anil.kumar wrote:
scottgus1 wrote: This extra guest is just for checking if the network is still running when your first guest loses network. You don't need to rebuild the failing guest. Just open a web browser & go to a website or a command prompt & ping when the first guest loses its network activity.

Aah! I was thinking I would have to do my setup on the new OS. It sounds way simpler then that. I have started to try this out. Lets see how it goes. I'll update once I have something to post about it.
Okay. So, I did this setup. Other OS was Fedora and Fedora had the network connection when it failed on Ubuntu VM.

I am kind of running out of options to try for this. Let me know if you guys have any other suggestion. I could consider may be downgrading Ubuntu version, but not sure if that would fix anything.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

anil.kumar wrote:Fedora had the network connection when it failed on Ubuntu
I believe this indicates that Virtualbox networking is still working and the problem may reside within the guest OS.
It would be interesting to install Ubuntu 19.04 in another guest and see of you get similar network glitches in the second Ubuntu.

I just thought of this in the first log:
00:00:11.902515 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.6 r129722 '6.0.6_KernelUbuntu'
Makes me think you have the Ubuntu fork of Guest Additions installed. Uninstall those and install the Guest Additions from the ISO that come with Virtualbox.
anil.kumar

Post by anil.kumar »

scottgus1 wrote:
00:00:11.902515 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.6 r129722 '6.0.6_KernelUbuntu'
Makes me think you have the Ubuntu fork of Guest Additions installed. Uninstall those and install the Guest Additions from the ISO that come with Virtualbox.
Yeah, you pointed that out earlier. So, removed these and installed it from the ISO. I uploaded updated logs later with the message 'Postby anil.kumar » 2. Sep 2019, 05:36'.
anil.kumar

Post by anil.kumar »

Also, I tied a fresh new install of Ubuntu 18.04, that surprisingly also had the same network issue as with Ubuntu 19.04. So, I do not think its something to do in the latest Ubuntu.
anil.kumar

Post by anil.kumar »

Okay. Few more things I tried last few days without any successful results.
  • Tried setting up a brand new ubuntu VM with a new name (in case some vm specific settings are preserved)
  • Tried setting up a different distros, tried Fedora, Cent OS & Debian. None of them worked.
  • I had Virtual Box Service installed, so uninstalled that too in case that could cause these issues.
So, now I am mostly lost. I don't know what else I could try.
anil.kumar

Post by anil.kumar »

I could not find any other things to try on this, so ended up trying different virtualization engine. Tried Qemu first which was horribly slow because I could not make hardware virtualization work with it. Then moved to trying VMWare Player with Debain guest which took sometime to setup but working fine since last around 2 weeks. I am able to do some significant download activities on it without any issue with network connection. So, I pretty confident that the issue I was facing has something to with Virtual Box or setup on host around. But have no idea on how to figure this issue out.