Error with AMD-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Lawson112

Error with AMD-V

Post by Lawson112 »

Hi all,

I'm having an issue trying to run Kali Linux on Windows 7. Every time I try and boot it, I get the following error message:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Kali-Linux-2019.2-vbox-amd64.

The native API dll was not found (C:\Windows\system32\WinHvPlatform.dll) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
The error in the settings states that hardware visualisation is on, but not supported by my system. When I turn it off, it states that it needs to be switched on.

I had a look in the BIOS and found a setting for Secure Virtual Machine Mode, which was disabled. I don't know if enabling this will help, or break my computer. The motherboard is an Asus M5A78L-M

Any help is appreciated.

Alex
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error with AMD-V

Post by mpack »

Lawson112 wrote:AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).
Believe what the error message tells you: AMD-v needs to be enabled in the host BIOS. I have no way of knowing for sure if the option you found (secure virtual mode) is it, but it does sound likely.

Certain VMs require hardware support for virtualization, for example all 64bit VMs require it, so do any VMs which are assigned >1 CPU core. If you disable the option in the VM settings then you will lose the ability to run that kind of VM.

Further reading: FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Error with AMD-V

Post by Martin »

SVM = Secure Virtual Mode
Just enable it in BIOS, your computer will not break. ;)