When Virtual machine restarts sometimes goes to different OS then crashes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: When Virtual machine restarts sometimes goes to different OS then crashes

Post by fth0 »

Windows 10/8/7/Vista loading screen for low resolutions
Windows 10/8/7/Vista loading screen for low resolutions
image0.png.pagespeed.ce.50ieVyMqwP.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
If you mean the screen above, that is the loading screen I've been writing about in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94381#p455695
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

TheawesomeMCB,
I asked for a screenshot. I still don't have a clue what you're talking about, nothing similar comes up on my VMs... Use the HostKey+E to grab a screenshot.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

socratis wrote:TheawesomeMCB,
I asked for a screenshot. I still don't have a clue what you're talking about, nothing similar comes up on my VMs... Use the HostKey+E to grab a screenshot.
fth0 has provided the screenshot
fth0 wrote:
image0.png.pagespeed.ce.50ieVyMqwP.png
If you mean the screen above, that is the loading screen I've been writing about in viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94381#p455695
I'm not sure what else to screenshot, let me tell you the steps, 1.Go on a windows VM, 2. Restore a snapshot for the windows VM 3.Restart the VM computer 4. The screenshot fth0 has provided. 5. The VM crashes.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Something has gone wrong in your snapshot arrangement for your guest, and the error is influencing the guest OS such that it crashes then reverts to the low-resolution startup green bar screen. This is not a different OS, as fth0 points out, but is a low-res fallback for the OS boot process.

You should either consider restoring a backup of this guest if you have one, and you should have one, BTW, or reinstalling the guest OS. Snapshots do make the guest more delicate, but they can be usable, and aren't prone to the error you are getting. I suspect something bad in the snapshot disk file itself.

I would also not use snapshots myself except for experimenting, and keep a complete undamaged backup on guests I plan to experiment with. A simple copy of the guest folder (provided the guest disk is also in the guest folder) is a good backup. As long as you need to just revert the guest back to the backed-up state, just copying the guest disk file from the backup back over the corrupted disk file would be a valid restore. This is a different arrangement than you have now, though, and you would need a fresh install with no snapshots.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I wonder where these vms came from? Multiboot vms are pretty unusual. Unlike physical machines, there is really no reason to use multiboot in a vm. It is simpler to just create a separate vm.
Bill
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

BillG wrote:Multiboot vms are pretty unusual.
Why do you think a multiboot VM is involved? :?
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I see your point. The "other OS" was a red herring. I also see why you want the heading changed.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

TheawesomeMCB wrote:fth0 has provided the screenshot
I did not ask 'fth0' for a screenshot, I asked you about one. 'fth0' could have posted any screenshot, how do I know that this is what you had in mind?

If this is the screenshot that you had in mind, 1) this is not the BIOS, 2) where exactly is the "Select Boot Device", I don't see it...
TheawesomeMCB wrote:let me tell you the steps, 1.Go on a windows VM, 2. Restore a snapshot for the windows VM 3.Restart the VM computer 4. The screenshot fth0 has provided. 5. The VM crashes.
I'm afraid I still don't quite understand what's going on here with your description, mainly because of the terminology you're using. Let me rephrase it so that we're in the same page... 1) You restore the VM from a live saved-state, 2) you reboot the VM, 3) it crashes? Is that what you're saying?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

Ok so let me show you a video on what is going on. As you can tell its windows 10, I restore the snapshot, Looks fine, I tell the VM to restart. Still shows the windows 10 restart screen. Then the Bios Virtulbox shows up. Then I get the boot screen that looks similar to vista. Then the machine crashes. I launch the windows 10 VM Normal and it runs fine.

https://youtu.be/lYMTjGlSVbY
Last edited by socratis on 20. Oct 2019, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

TheawesomeMCB wrote:Ok so let me show you a video on what is going on
Great, thanks for that, that explained a lot of the confusion in this thread.
fth0 wrote:Why do you think a multiboot VM is involved?
Now that question can finally be answered; because it *is* a multi-boot VM! :)

On a more serious note 'fth0', are you 100% sure about the legend of the picture you uploaded? "Windows 10/8/7/Vista loading zscreen for low resolutions" and most importantly about the "10" and the "7" parts? I honestly don't remember that to be the case.
TheawesomeMCB wrote:Then I get the boot screen that looks similar to vista
Are you sure that this wasn't a VM in which you installed both Vista and Win10? It doesn't compute otherwise...

Restoring:
00:00:03.157827 Changing the VM state from 'CREATED' to 'LOADING'
00:00:12.295479 Changing the VM state from 'LOADING' to 'SUSPENDED'
00:00:12.295566 Changing the VM state from 'SUSPENDED' to 'RESUMING'
00:00:12.295990 Changing the VM state from 'RESUMING' to 'RUNNING'
Rebooting:
00:55:17.066849 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'RESETTING'
00:55:17.120968 Changing the VM state from 'RESETTING' to 'RUNNING'
Crashing:
00:55:47.159913 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
00:55:47.160087 !!         VCPU1: Guru Meditation -1607 (VERR_PGM_HANDLER_NOT_FOUND)
The thing is that I'm seeing more and more VERR_PGM_HANDLER_NOT_FOUND Guru Meditations when restoring from Live-Saved-State. I think I need to gather them all together, it simply requires time and digging...
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

socratis wrote:On a more serious note 'fth0', are you 100% sure about the legend of the picture you uploaded? "Windows 10/8/7/Vista loading screen for low resolutions" and most importantly about the "10" and the "7" parts? I honestly don't remember that to be the case.
I made up this legend myself, and the Windows 10 and Windows 8 parts have some uncertainty. Let me explain the background and my reasoning:

1. Engineering the Windows 7 Boot Animation explains that the new Windows 7 boot screen needs a minimum resolution of 1024x768. In the comments, Netbook owners with a 1024x600 resolution are complaining that they are still seeing the old Windows Vista boot screen.

2. In the Windows 7 times, there were many discussions and articles about those boot screens, e.g. Why 2 different bootscreens, [Fun Tip] Enable Windows Vista Boot Screen in Windows 7, [Fix] Windows 7 Animated Boot Screen Changed to Vista Style Green Progress Bar. Inside those discussions and articles, the aspect of the resolution barrier can be found again and again.

3. Regarding Windows 10 and Windows 8, I haven't found any convincing sources (I've only seen authors refreshing their articles to include Windows 7/8/10).

4. Regarding the VBox log files of the OP: After Booting from Hard Disk, the screen resolution changes from 720x400 to 640x480 (instead of 1024x768). This could indicate that the Windows <?> boot loader believes that a resolution of 1024x768 is unavailable.

5. I've been trying several things to produce a Windows Vista boot screen using my Windows 10 1903 VM, but all without success:

5. a) If I configure my own Windows 10 1903 guest to use a 800x600 resolution, the Windows 10 boot loader still uses the 1024x768 resolution, afterwards changing to the configured 800x600 resolution for the login screen.

5. b) In the discussions and articles above, there are several tips modifying the BCD store to get rid of the Windows Vista boot screen. Trying to use them in the opposite direction on my own Windows 10 1903 guest didn't work out, because all of those do not work in Windows 10 1903 any more: vga yes results in 1024x768 instead of 800x600 or 640x480, bootux basic isn't interpreted any more, destroying language xx-xx also doesn't help.
socratis wrote:Now that question can finally be answered; because it *is* a multi-boot VM!
Why do you think so?
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

@TheawesomeMCB:

Please start the Windows 10 VM (from the saved state, as usual). Inside the guest OS, start a cmd shell with admin rights, enter the command "bcdedit /enum all" and post the ZIPped output of it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fth0 wrote:3. Regarding Windows 10 and Windows 8, I haven't found any convincing sources
5. I've been trying several things to produce a Windows Vista boot screen using my Windows 10 1903 VM, but all without success
That's where I was heading with the whole thing; that you'll never get that green-bars bootloader screen in Win10.
fth0 wrote:
socratis wrote:Now that question can finally be answered; because it *is* a multi-boot VM!
Why do you think so?
Because of the bootloader screen. You won't get that on a standalone Win10.
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

fth0 wrote:@TheawesomeMCB:
Please start the Windows 10 VM (from the saved state, as usual). Inside the guest OS, start a cmd shell with admin rights, enter the command "bcdedit /enum all" and post the ZIPped output of it.
bcm.txt
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Here is that attachment with that command.
socratis wrote:Are you sure that this wasn't a VM in which you installed both Vista and Win10? It doesn't compute otherwise...
No this is not a multiboot VM. As you saw in the video I have lots of VM's, but each one has their own virtual hard disk. For example here is my windows 10 one with the size and location:
win10 1.PNG
win10 1.PNG (32.88 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
And here is the one with the vista (Again different location):
vista1.PNG
vista1.PNG (33.44 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
You can also tell that they are only attached corresponding with their own OS. You can also tell that actual sizes are different.
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

Also I just realized something. My windows 8 and 8.1 virtual machines do the same thing. My windows 7 doesn't have this issue so it's virtual machines past windows 7 that has this issue as well.
Again these all have their own virtual drives and none are duel boot.
windows 8 crash.PNG
windows 8 crash.PNG (46.69 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
windows 8.1 crash.PNG
windows 8.1 crash.PNG (47.2 KiB) Viewed 3785 times