When Virtual machine restarts sometimes goes to different OS then crashes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TheawesomeMCB

When Virtual machine restarts sometimes goes to different OS then crashes

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

So I have had a weird glitch that has been happening for awhile. So lets say I'm on a Virtual Machine and I decide to restart it. Well sometimes it switches to another during restart, let me explain. So I have had this happen usually with a VM that is running windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

So lets say on the Windows 8.1 VM it wants to restart for updates. So I restart it. Then as soon as I see the VM bios screen (you know it says press a key to boot from a certain device) after that I see a different screen after that. It looks like the loading screen for either Vista or 7, you know like instead of a spinning circle it's the loading bar from 7 or vista.

Then once it gets pasts that screen, the VM crashes with the VBox Log. Like I don't know if its glitching when it restarts it switches to a different Virtual Drive but because its the wrong one that it crashes. However once it crashes I launch the VM and it launches normally. Anyone know what is going on. I have a log file that I have attached with it when it crashes. It didn't used to do this but for some odd reason in recent versions its now doing it.
Attachments
vboxlog.zip
Log when VM crashes
(70.89 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: When Virtual machine restarts sometimes goes to different OS then crashes

Post by scottgus1 »

Your guest is going to a Guru Meditation: VERR_PGM_HANDLER_NOT_FOUND
It appears your guest log shows the guest being started from a saved state. Please try to fully shut down the guest then see if the issue happens again.

Sounds like you have more than one VM that does this? If so were they all major-OS-updated?

Was this guest updated from Windows 7 or Vista to 8.1 or 10? A former co-worker had the same sort of thing happen on a physical laptop, updated from 7 to 10. Sometimes after a major update it would boot into the 7 boot system and we'd have to reboot.

Please post the .vbox file, zipped, for each guest that does this. Let's see what you have for drives on the guests.
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

Well the reason it was it was in a saved state was because I saved it the previous night because it needed to install updates. It usually isn't in a saved state. I have the 10's one attached now, one with the crash and one without, and no these were never upgraded, these were fresh installs from the iso file. Also I just tested it and it looks like once you launch a save state then restart it, it goes to the other boot screen (the 7 or vista). However if it is not launched from a saved state then it reboots it will boot normally. So I don't know if this is a bug or a glitch at this point.
Attachments
Windows 10 VBox Log.zip
Once that crashes with the saved state and one that won't crash if launched without saved state
(116.79 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I can't think of any reason a fresh Windows 10 would have a Windows 7 boot screen floating about. Can you reliably make this failure happen and try to get a screenshot of this spurious boot screen?
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

Okay because the files is too big here is a google drive link with the 3 pictures of steps of what happens after a reboot with a snapshot. So it shows the boot device screen, then the 7/vista screen (which it shouldn't because its either a 8.1 or 10 that should be booting), then it crashes. You may need to make 5 bigger to see the full thing of whats going on. I should also point out that I do have a windows 7 and vista virtual machine. So it could be grabbing from those Virtual disks but I don't know because it jumps to these boot screens when it restarts from the snapshot. If that makes sense.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zzVdw ... yBxEpJVFsf
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, I saw the vista-stye green bar (I liked green rather than the XP blue, myself...)
To see if the guests are "cross-drived" we need to see the guests' .vbox files. Right-click each guest showing this problem, then click Show In Explorer. Zip and attach the .vbox file for each guest.

FWIW if you crop & resize you can get PNGs below the 128kB forum limit on Upload Attachment that still look nice & convey the desired info.
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

I don't think the 8.1 will do it anymore because it's no longer in the snapshot state but the 10 is so here is the windows 10 one.
Attachments
vbox file.zip
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't see anything indicating a possible cross-link to other guests. You have two CDs in your guest CD drives, both apparently bootable. Maybe one of these are causing the Vista bar? Try removing them and see what happens.
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

Nope didn't do anything, still same screen.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If you can avoid the problem by not save-stating, then try to shut down normally when an update is about to happen. Otherwise this is not a normal set of circumstances. Probably something unusual within the guests. There's snapshots, maybe you have a bad bit somewhere?

Usually if a guest window is open and a guest OS is doing something guest-OS-ish, then the Virtualbox system is working and the problem resides within the guest OS itself.

That said, maybe there's something in the logs that will send up flares to another volunteer. Let's see if someone notices something.
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

Avoiding snapshots isn't really an option, because I usually run Malware in a Virtual Machine, I test AV's and look at recent Ransomware with Virtual Box. I'm a computer tech. So instead of reinstalling windows I can just restore the snapshot. Also it looks like it happens with every snapshot I try or if its in a saved state, I just tried a Windows 8 VM I had (Not the 8.1) and tried to replicate it and its still doing it. So it looks like its with restoring snapshots or starting up from the saved state is when it happens.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I cannot provide you with a solution for the crashes, but I can explain the loading screen:

The loading screen is part of Windows 10/8/7 and is used, if the vertical screen resolution is below 600 pixel when the Windows boot manager and loader run. Note that the VirtualBox Guest Additions are not running this early in the boot process. Both your VBox log file and your VM .vbox recipe indicate that your resolution has been 640x480 just before the crash.

I think it's time to change the subject of this thread. ;)
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

TheawesomeMCB wrote:Then as soon as I see the VM bios screen (you know it says press a key to boot from a certain device) after that I see a different screen after that
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand that part, can you post a screenshot with that "BIOS screen" and where it says to boot from a certain device? I don't have that...
fth0 wrote:I think it's time to change the subject of this thread.
Sure. But to what? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

socratis wrote:
fth0 wrote: I think it's time to change the subject of this thread.
Sure. But to what? ;)
At the moment I can only suggest to remove the misleading 5 consecutive words 'goes to different OS then'. And maybe insert 'it' for better grammar. ;)
TheawesomeMCB

Post by TheawesomeMCB »

socratis wrote:
TheawesomeMCB wrote:Then as soon as I see the VM bios screen (you know it says press a key to boot from a certain device) after that I see a different screen after that
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand that part, can you post a screenshot with that "BIOS screen" and where it says to boot from a certain device? I don't have that...
It's the screen the second that VM screen come up, like it says press f12 to select boot device with the logo. And what is happening as soon as it boots from restart after coming from a snapshot it will switch to the vista virtual drive and then crash after the loading screen even though I'm on a windows 10 drive soo... something is going on.