[WorksForMe] Unable to uninstall VirtualBox : Windows 10 blue screen (#18851)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
keys13790

[WorksForMe] Unable to uninstall VirtualBox : Windows 10 blue screen (#18851)

Post by keys13790 »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18851: Unable to uninstall
I'm not able to uninstall latest release of Virtual Box. :roll:

I want to uninstall because each time i want to stop my PC since installation i've Windows 10 blue screen (crash). I noticed that also i've crash once i disable the network card : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter which is enabled and active after windows reboot. Also i tried to launch windows in mode reduce without network and also even if network card is uninstall i've crash. If i try to reinstall a new release (dev release latest for exemple) it does not succeed because installer wants to desinstall old release but this crash windows 10, so how to proceed please ?

My release is : VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.6.2)

Also tried to install other release of VirtualBox (old one and dev release and same problem)

I've Windows latest with latest patchs

The error during uninstall is ‘there’s another instance of installation on going’ do you want to close or continue ? If you continue previous install will be removed’ but if I continue during removal of previous instance windows 10 crash I’ve blue screen ... if I close it (first option) uninstall without doing nothing.

Also blue screen if i want to disable Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, this is may be what cause cash of uninstal (blue screen)

i rebooted Winbdows and same Problem

Also i installed some clean tools of Microsoft and also once repairing database it crash windows I've problem only with virtual bow other software can be desinstalled.

Please help :)
Last edited by socratis on 21. Aug 2019, 09:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to uninstall VirtualBox : Windows 10 blue screen

Post by scottgus1 »

First off, I'd try a shutdown of your host using the "shutdown -s" command. Windows 10 has a hybrid shutdown, which leaves some things un-reset. The command causes a full old-school shutdown that has cleared stuck data before in my experience.

Next, the Virtualbox installer uses the MSI installer database provided by Microsoft. It sounds like the MSI databae is corrupted. Google for how to fix MSI database corruptions. Also try this:
socratis wrote:Basic troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer.

I have two other links to suggest. See also if you have any corrupted MSI database files:
keys13790

Post by keys13790 »

Thanks,

Unfortunately i tried shutdown -s : same problem : Windows Blue screen & after same pb

By installation of tools i was not able to repair too :roll: , it repaired but no impact on the problem
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hmm, too bad it didn't work. Unfortunately I think the Virtualbox uninstall is just showing up the problem, not causing it. Your MSI installer database is messed up somehow. It does happen sometimes. Try a Windows forum and see if they can help you get the whole installer system working again.
keys13790

Post by keys13790 »

In fact i'm not sure it's a problem of installer windows because if i disable or try to uninstall the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter i've same blue screen crash

So It crash windows 10 has uninstaller will do and i think uninstaller try to remove this card too then crash
Also all cleaner did not found problem with uninstaller

Any other idea's ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Your PC may very well also have a problem with the Virtualbox Host-Only adapter. Fixing that will require uninstalling and reinstalling Virtualbox, which requires the fix to the MSI installer database, which we don't know how to do here on the Virtualbox forums.
keys13790

Post by keys13790 »

OK understood, do there's way to fix manually the MSI installer database by using some manual tools like regedit ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, I'm afraid you've mistaken Virtualbox with Google & Bing.
keys13790

Post by keys13790 »

i don't understand what you mean sorry ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to uninstall VirtualBox : Windows 10 blue screen (#18851)

Post by socratis »

What 'scottgus1' means, is that you shouldn't rely on the VirtualBox forums to get a working answer, but you should be searching for the answer using your favorite search engine.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any 3rd party antivirus installed?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
keys13790

Post by keys13790 »

Yes i’ve An antivirus Avast

Also I will post on windows forum then will let you know
Search on google was not successful

Any windows forum that you suggest for theses
Kind of problem ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

keys13790 wrote:Yes i’ve An antivirus Avast
That's the part that may be blocking the uninstall! Completely uninstall Avast (don't simply disable it) and then try the uninstall again, see what happens...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
keys13790

Post by keys13790 »

Ok i will try this evening once having my PC ! Searching the internet i found some instabilities also with network card driver & avast ... So this is a good idea's to try !
keys13790

Post by keys13790 »

socratis wrote:
keys13790 wrote:Yes i’ve An antivirus Avast
That's the part that may be blocking the uninstall! Completely uninstall Avast (don't simply disable it) and then try the uninstall again, see what happens...
So you were right this was AVAST antivirus that blocked uninstall of Virtualbox and also the disabling of network card !!! I suceeded to uninstall after removal of Avast

So i think this problem can appear to other people's using Avast & VirtualBox i suggest to open a ticket to Avast ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

keys13790 wrote:suggest to open a ticket to Avast ?
I suggest to never install a 3rd party antivirus on a Win10 system, it has its own, no need for 3rd party ones that mess really bad with your system.

I'll update the ticket as well to indicate that this was an Avast issue...