MSI Deploy with Auto-Update Disabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

MSI Deploy with Auto-Update Disabled

Postby relaxedcrazyman » 19. Aug 2019, 18:13

Hello,

I found the command to disable the update prompt through CMD: VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/UpdateDate never
Is there a way to set this during the MSI install? We are currently deploying through SCCM.

Thanks,
Chiraag
relaxedcrazyman

Re: MSI Deploy with Auto-Update Disabled

Postby scottgus1 » 19. Aug 2019, 18:21

Check the manual, section 2.1.5, for switches for an unattended install. Does not appear to have a "no-updates" switch.
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in...
No matter which side you choose, Left or Right, both Sides are empty.
scottgus1
Volunteer

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7

Postby relaxedcrazyman » 19. Aug 2019, 18:37

Any thoughts on how I can run this after the fact for the machines that have Vbox deployed?
relaxedcrazyman

Postby scottgus1 » 19. Aug 2019, 18:41

Not really. Try the SCCM documentation? Maybe there's a way to run post-install .cmd's?
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in...
scottgus1
Volunteer

Postby relaxedcrazyman » 19. Aug 2019, 20:29

I was thinking about maybe doing the install as a task sequence in SCCM.
Before I go down that road, is there a GPO that can be deployed to disable auto-update? (I tried searching but could not find anything relevant)
relaxedcrazyman

Postby scottgus1 » 19. Aug 2019, 20:31

Not specifically for Virtualbox, I'd think. You might be able to find out what internet site Virtualbox uses to query for updates & block that site in the firewall through GPO.
scottgus1
Volunteer

Postby socratis » 20. Aug 2019, 05:50

relaxedcrazyman wrote:I found the command to disable the update prompt through CMD: VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/UpdateDate never

You got to remember that this setting is per user. So you have to find a way to "augment" the VirtualBox.xml file in the users' "C:\Users\<user\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml". You could do that by having a users' login script that issues that command.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts