Guest OS runs of drive space on dynamically allocted drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ChaletOS

Guest OS runs of drive space on dynamically allocted drive

Post by ChaletOS »

I've allocated 20GB to a dynamically sized drive and 3GB to ram. I install a guest OS but it runs out of drive space when doing an OS update. It appears that it is treating the 3GB ram allocation as the hard drive an not using the 20GB dynamically sized drive. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest OS runs of drive space on dynamically allocted drive

Post by socratis »

I highly doubt that this is the case. The problem most probably is that 20 GB is not enough for your guest. Delete the VM and recreate it with 40 or 50 GB this time. Actually, I would check with the distro's requirements. Plus you shouldn't be forgetting about the swap partition which isn't really used as a user-usable hard disk space...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ChaletOS wrote:I've allocated 20GB to a dynamically sized drive and 3GB to ram. I install a guest OS but it runs out of drive space when doing an OS update. It appears that it is treating the 3GB ram allocation as the hard drive an not using the 20GB dynamically sized drive. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
If that's the case then you haven't actually installed the OS. It's Linux of some kind, right? And it seems you're running it in demo mode (live CD).

Start again, look closely at the options offered: choose the scary one that says "nuke my hard disk and install Linux". The hard disk in question is the one belonging to the VM, it doesn't mean killing Windows.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ChaletOS wrote:it runs out of drive space when doing an OS update
mpack wrote:And it seems you're running it in demo mode (live CD)
I don't think that in LiveDVD mode there are updates to be installed, it's inactive, so I think that the OP has actually made a complete install of the OS in question.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

We don't know anything about what is being updated and why, and I can't think of a more likely reason for the drive to appear to be 3GB or less.
ChaletOS wrote:It appears that it is treating the 3GB ram allocation as the hard drive an not using the 20GB dynamically sized drive.
Seems obvious to me: running off ramdisk.