In loop unable to run VirtualBox on Win10 Pro x64

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dfatvb
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows/DOS

In loop unable to run VirtualBox on Win10 Pro x64

Post by dfatvb »

Hi,

I had latest 5.x running fine, but it was being slow. I recalled seeing various virtual and hypervisor setting in Windows add features and thought maybe it be faster with those on so I turned them on. While there I enabled Hyper-V, Windows Hypervisor Platform, and Virtual Machine Platform. Reboot, then 5.x wouldn't run saying VT-x not available. So looking up on Internet, saw some saying virtual box 6 (download latest) fixes this. So I installed that, but it didn't, so looking more it says you have to disable hyper-v, fine I did that, reboot but same error. So then I disabled the other two, rebooted, but now same error with a message to enable "Windows Hypervisor Platform". So I enabled it, but then still get VT-x not available. So then I disabled that, and enabled Virtual Machine Platform, still doesn't work and back to the message to enable "Windows Hypervisor Platform". Ugh.

How do I get VirtualBox to run?

TIA!!
dfatvb
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows/DOS

Re: In loop unable to run VirtualBox on Win10 Pro x64

Post by dfatvb »

Update - each failure then attempt to change features and then reboot would BSOD. I gave up on 6.x and went back to 5.2.x and everything is working again. I'll stay with 5.x until 6 becomes stable, if it becomes stable.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: In loop unable to run VirtualBox on Win10 Pro x64

Post by socratis »

dfatvb wrote:I recalled seeing various virtual and hypervisor setting in Windows add features and thought maybe it be faster with those on so I turned them on
No, no, no, on the contrary, you should disable them all!

The trick with VT-x is that it has to be shared, since it's "only one" available slot for its use. For example, VMware and VirtualBox do not use VT-x at the same time, but rather take turns. To put it simply, every program that uses VT-x should do this: VT-x lock, execute, VT-x unlock. This way other processes can use VT-x in turns.

On the other hand, Hyper-V permanently takes over VT-x and doesn't let anyone else use it. If a program uses VT-x from the moment it is loaded, and doesn't let go till the moment it dies, you have a problem. So, please complain to Microsoft about that.

Look at the topic "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" the 3rd post, for some Hyper-V enablers that we're aware of so far. Make sure that none of them is enabled.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.