Cannot delete Snapshot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ROB87

Cannot delete Snapshot

Post by ROB87 »

Hi,

I'm using VB6.0.10 on Windows 10 1903. When I make a snapshot and want to delet it, I get an Error:
Parent UUID {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} of the medium 'C:\Users\wichert\VirtualBox VMs\W10_Tia_Flex_1\Snapshots/{2f1c4bdb-3969-48e3-95ef-fb40bcca3039}.vhd' does not match UUID {1061826d-d7a2-4320-bc8d-1dd822495185} of its parent medium stored in the media registry ('C:\Users\wichert\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml').
Same Error on 3 VM's (win7 and win10 guests) with different source VHD's (dyn).

Do you have same Idears whats wrong?

Btw. If I detach HDD I can delet the Snapshot
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot delete Snapshot

Post by socratis »

Is this for a new VM? I mean, you create a new VM, make a snapshot, then try to delete that snapshot and you get that error?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A parent UUID of zero means that the VHD is not a snapshot. At some point someone cloned it from the original VHD, which was a snapshot.

Also: detaching the base disk in a snapshot chain pretty much kills the VM. I hope there's a backup somewhere.
ROB87

Post by ROB87 »

Hi,

I did the Following:
1. Creating new VM and Installing Windows
2. Open Medienmanager and Clone VHD from VM (1.)
3. Creating new VM and using the cloned VHD
4. make the Snapshot
5. Get the error

Where is my mistake?
Is cloning the VHD while it is attached in a VM (VM is down) a mistake?

Tanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Cloning a snapshot produces a non-snapshot (a merged image). There is no way to clone fragments of a disk image.

If you want to clone a VM, clone the VM. If you tell it to clone the current state only then the clone will have no snapshots. I'm not sure why you added those extra steps involving media manager.
ROB87

Post by ROB87 »

I don't want to clone snapshots.
The Source VM has no snapshot.
I want to clone the VHD with an other UUid to use it in another VM's.
I don't understand right know, why I should clone a whole VM, because every VM has other Settings...
?confused?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Here's what I did, tell me where the differences are:
  1. Create a new VM, "1". Leave everything default, i.e. Win7-64, 2048 MB RAM, New disk = VHD, 32 GB
  2. Go to Media Manager, find and select "1.vhd", choose "Copy" (there's no Clone), choose VHD, leave the rest as is. The default name is "1_copy.vhd".
  3. Create a new VM, "2". Leave everything default, except "Use an existing virtual hard disk file":
    1. Click the Navigate icon.
    2. Click "Add" from the toolbar.
    3. Navigate to and select the "1_copy.vhd". Choose that.
  4. With the "2" VM selected, switch to "Snapshots" view, "Take", leave it at the default "Snapshot 1".
  5. Select "Snapshot 1", choose "Delete".
Do you get an error then?

If you're doing something different, please describe in full detail what the steps are, what the differences are.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.