[Resolved] VirtualBox Error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Nemesis12

[Resolved] VirtualBox Error

Post by Nemesis12 »

So I enabled Hyper-V a few days ago and later then disabled it. I installed VirtualBox and when start the VM (with or without the ISO loaded), it shows the following errors.
I have Virtualization enabled. I have disabled Hyper-V, the Virtual Machine Platform and Hyper-V Platform were already disabled. The error is occurring in the latest version of VirtualBox. VirtualBox was working when I tried it before enabling Hyper-V.
Attachments
Annotation 2019-08-14 144234.png
Annotation 2019-08-14 144234.png (20.37 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
Annotation 2019-08-14 144205.png
Annotation 2019-08-14 144205.png (26.62 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox Error

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V wreaks havoc on Virtualbox due to Hyper-V's way of hogging the VT-x capabilities of the host so the other children can't play. See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests Carefully go through each command in the 2nd & 3rd posts.

If this does not help, please post the hardening log mentioned in the error, zipped, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Nemesis12

Post by Nemesis12 »

I'm sending the log file since the commands in the post you sent didn't work.
Attachments
HardeningLog.zip
(3.05 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You apparently have Kaspersky Antivirus on your PC:
720.e14: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x40
720.e14: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\klim6.sys:
720.e14: ProductName: System Interceptors PDK
Try uninstalling this antivirus temporarily to test if it is stopping Virtualbox. Uninstall, not just disable. Shut down your host PC, unplug to clear anything interfering with VT-x, wait a couple minutes, restart, then try Virtualbox with no 3rd-party antivirus, and see what you get.
Nemesis12

Post by Nemesis12 »

I had uninstalled that a month ago. I think the file somehow remained. Should I just delete it?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Let's try one more time: Start your guest, run it until the hardening error happens. If a hardening error happens, right-click your guest in the main Virtualbox window, click Show Log, then zip and post the Vboxhardening.log shown in the Show Log window.
Nemesis12

Post by Nemesis12 »

Here it is.
Attachments
Vboxhardening.zip
(3.05 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

6fc.1a64: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x40
6fc.1a64: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\klim6.sys:
6fc.1a64: ProductName: System Interceptors PDK
Still showing the same "adversary". If you did uninstall Kaspersky, then something is still there. Try to track that down and delete it. See if Kaspersky has an updated system cleaner to remove all Kaspersky files.

However, your first post said it was when you enabled Hyper-V that the issue developed.

The commands require a complete power down and unplug of the PC to fully drain power from the power supply, so latent bits clear:
open an administrator command console and type "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off". Make sure to fully power down and reboot the host after changing the Hyper-v setting.....reboot the host from power down.....shut down the computer, pull the power plug for 10 {seconds}, reboot.
Forum posters have said 10 seconds may not be enough, one guy reported a five-minute wait unplugged before the command stuck.

Did you fully poer down and unplug your PC then go get a coffee & a donut?
Nemesis12

Post by Nemesis12 »

I don't know how but VirtualBox has started working again. My PC crashed at one point when my bro was playing. So there must have been something that happened at that time. Thank you so much for the help! :D :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Resolved] VirtualBox Error

Post by socratis »

Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.