[Bug] Menu bar disappears when Auto resize guest display is enabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
testtoto

[Bug] Menu bar disappears when Auto resize guest display is enabled

Post by testtoto »

When I switch to full-screen and if "Auto resize guest display" is enabled, the menu bar is not visible anymore.

I tried putting it on top or bottom, same bug.

When I Host+Home, I can see the cursor changing but the bar is still not showing.

VirtualBox 6.0.10
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Bug] Menu bar disappears when Auto resize guest display is enabled

Post by mpack »

When menu bar are you referring to?

If it's the standard Windows style menu bar across the top of the window, then naturally that disappears when you go fullscreen. That's what fullscreen means: i.e. make the client area of the window fill the screen.

Not to be confused with maximizing the window, which will indeed retain the window frame elements.

If you need to continue this discussion then we'll need to see a VM log, as a zipped attachment please.
testtoto

Post by testtoto »

On fullscreen (when it was working), the menu bar was "retracted" on the bottom, and when I was hovering it, it was showing up. But now, that small retracted menu bar is not showing at all, is that more clear?
In the 'Seamless mode' the bar disappears completely, which makes sense. But I'm talking about Fullscreen mode and not seamless mode
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

In the VM settings, User Interface tab, make sure that "Mini Toolbar: [x] Show in Full-screen/Seamless" is checked.
testtoto

Post by testtoto »

mpack wrote:In the VM settings, User Interface tab, make sure that "Mini Toolbar: [x] Show in Full-screen/Seamless" is checked.
Yes it is. I think the bug is related to having 2 monitors with different resolution, monitor A is 1920x1080 and the other one monitor B - where it's bugging, is 1680x1050.

Hmm I think I found why it's not showing up. With 'Auto resize ON', If I go on monitor A and go fullscreen, it shows the mini bar. Then if I move it to the other screen, and go fullscreen, it doesn't show. I have to re-click the 'Auto-adjust' then go back to fullscreen, and it shows up. Is it a bug ?

Steps to reproduce, with monitor A and B :

- Set 'Auto-resize guest display' ON
- In window mode, open the VM on monitor A.
- Go fullscreen, it shows the mini/menu bar.
- Go back to window mode
- Switch VM to monitor B
- Go full screen
- Mini/Menu bar is not showing
- Host+F to go back to window mode
- Re-trigger the 'Auto resize guest display'
- Go back to fullscreen
- Mini/menu bar shows up again

Also what I noticed, when the mini/menu bar is there, once I go to the 'Display' settings of my ubuntu VM, it kinda resizes the screen which makes the mini/menu bar disappearing again.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

testtoto wrote: Hmm I think I found why it's not showing up. With 'Auto resize ON', If I go on monitor A and go fullscreen, it shows the mini bar. Then if I move it to the other screen, and go fullscreen, it doesn't show. I have to re-click the 'Auto-adjust' then go back to fullscreen, and it shows up. Is it a bug ?
Probably, and it's one of several known bugs that arise when fullscreen mode and dual monitors are used together. No doubt these will be sorted out in time.