VirtualBox 6.0.10 on Windows Host - GUI missing General page

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
neptunium

VirtualBox 6.0.10 on Windows Host - GUI missing General page

Post by neptunium »

Hi,

I seem to be missing the General page view of my VMs in the VirtualBox 6.0.10 GUI. I first noticed this on earlier versions of VirtualBox 6, where it affected just one VM. But since going to 6.0.10, they're all disappeared. See the attached image. I'm running on Windows 10 1903.

Any ideas where the page has gone to? Please note I did check that the view wasn't just rolled-up :D

Many thanks
Attachments
Missing General page in GUI
Missing General page in GUI
2019-07-29 10_26_32-Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.png (29.36 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox 6.0.10 on Windows Host - GUI missing General page

Post by mpack »

You are also missing the preview panel, plus everything else in the settings summary list (General, System, Display, Storage etc).

Right click in the white area below "General", see which options are ticked - I recommend ticking them all.
neptunium

Post by neptunium »

Thank you mpack. I've right-clicked and all the settings are turned on. Still no panel unfortunately. The Snapshots and Logs views work fine for each machine though.
Attachments
2019-07-29 13_43_25-Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.png
2019-07-29 13_43_25-Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.png (42.68 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

As a suggestion, you can reset Virtualbox and re-register your guests.

Open the main Virtualbox window. Right-click each guest and choose Show in Explorer. This will bring up the folder that the guest resides in. These folders will contain each guest's .vbox file, which is the 'recipe' of each guest. Take a note of each guest's folder path, perhaps copying the path to a Notepad file, so you can find them again.

Try to remove the Guest Additions ISO from any guests you have it in right now. Might have to boot each guest and remove the ISO using the guest window menu bar since you can't see the settings in the main Virtualbox window.

Also, check through the main Virtualbox window's File menu, Preferences, for any special network settings you may have made, host-key combos, etc. The extension packs, if installed, will remain available.

Reboot your host, so there's nothing related to Virtualbox running.

Now go to "C:\Users\{you}'. You will see a .Virtualbox folder there. Move that .Virtualbox folder to your desktop. Don't delete this folder, you can use it to put everything back as it is now if this experiment does not work.

Now restart Virtualbox. Your guest list will be empty, that's OK, go back to each guest folder and double-click the .vbox file. If any of your guests are linked clones, you will need to double-click the base guest first, then the linked clone guest. After each .vbox double-click, the main Virtualbox window will open again. Just close them again as you go until you register the last guest. You should now be able to see the settings of each guest.

You will need to re-adjust the File menu Preferences settings manually.

Finally, you can compare the new C:\Users\{you}\.Virtualbox\Virtualbox.XML with the Virtualbox.XML in the old .Virtualbox folder on the desktop, to see what is different and what may have caused this glitch in the first place. Might be interesting to us if you zipped and posted the two XML's using the forum's Upload Attachment tab, so we could take a look.
neptunium

Post by neptunium »

Thank you scottgus1. So I've been trying that out and it works to a point, but it is acting a little strange.

I followed those steps to take a copy of the .VirtualBox folder and remove it. Then I started adding my VMs back in again. To start with it was working great, I could now see all the detail in the panel. But then I added the fourth VM back in (named CiscoClientsImage). When I add this one in, close the GUI and open it again, the problem is back. Even if I then remove that VM through the GUI, the problem then remains until I at least shutdown all VirtualBox processes and services.

Attached is the old Virtualbox.XML file, and the new one before and after adding the fourth VM. I will also attach the CiscoClientsImage.vbox file for that VM in case that might shed some light on the issue.
Attachments
New-NotWorking-VirtualBox.xml
New VirtualBox.XML file after adding CiscoClientsImage
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
New-Working-VirtualBox.xml
New VirtualBox.XML file before adding CiscoClientsImage
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Old-VirtualBox.xml
Old VirtualBox.XML file
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
neptunium

Post by neptunium »

And here is the VM's VBOX file.
Attachments
CiscoClientsImage.vbox.xml
VBOX file for CiscoClientsImage
(7.59 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

CiscoClientsImage.vbox wrote: <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition" value="-1911,48,1022,810"/>
That negative coordinate looks weird to me, though I can't swear that it has no meaning to VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Haven't had a chance to look at these files yet, but I ran across one of those negative coordinate numbers recently, thought there was no report of trouble in the main window.

close the main Virtualbox window, then try this command, which should reset the guest window's coordinates:

Code: Select all

vboxmanage setextradata "CiscoClientsImage" "GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition" 
See what the main window looks like.
neptunium

Post by neptunium »

I did try the command but I think it's a red herring. On my setup I have two monitors, the right-hand one being the primary display. So the left-hand monitor has negative coordinates on the x-axis, which is where I tend to leave the VM windows.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

neptunium wrote:On my setup I have two monitors
Ah, that explains it then. I'm of the old school type that believes that two monitors is excessive. Where will it end? :)