Hardening error on Dell model 5490 - Windows 10 - Enterprise x64 - 1809

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JeffDey

Hardening error on Dell model 5490 - Windows 10 - Enterprise x64 - 1809

Post by JeffDey »

We are installing Windows 10 Build 1809 Enterprise from a DVD, completly offline. Once done, VirtualBox 6.0.10 is installed from a USB key, and Vagrant to run the box Hashicorp/Precise64 as a proof of concept. We constantly get an hardening error on Dell 5490. Tested with 4 different laptop, all the same Dell 5490 model.

There is no other software installed. No antivirus, no Hyper-V enabled.

Pretty sure that all the settings of the BIOS have been flipped on and off again. We had this setup working only 1 time on a Dell 5490, and it didn't last the afternoon before getting the same hardening error.

If I use a factory fresh Dell 5490, keeping the Windows 10 "home" version and all the softwares that comes with it, it works.

On another model of computer, a not-a-Dell but a custom build PC, this setup work flawlessly.

At this point, we spent about 3 weeks of works to find the issue. I should have asked on forums before, but here we are. At the moment, I've wipped out one the laptop, and doing again a fresh install of this setup to get logs and screens captures of the issue. I'll be able to provide them later.

Any ideas?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Hardening error on Dell model 5490 - Windows 10 - Enterprise x64 - 1809

Post by scottgus1 »

Vagrant changes things about Virtualbox that we on the forums don't know about. You would need to remove anything related to Vagrant, and install the official Virtualbox from http://www.virtualbox.org. Then if you get any errors, post the exact error message you get, and zipped logs mentioned by the error message using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
JeffDey

Post by JeffDey »

We've have imported a known working box in VirtualBox, on a host where Vagrant was never installed. This time, the machine works, at least, we got a blinking cursor and the VM doesn't hangs.

I understand about Vagrant doing lots of things. I've then asked the same question on their discussion group. I'll update this post if ever there is a solution.
JeffDey

Post by JeffDey »

We've found the solution today, thanks to this post: https://superuser.com/questions/1153470 ... ed-in-bios

Running the Readiness tool, and disabling the Application Guard, the Credential Guard and Device Guard did the trick.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53337

We also disabled the Core Isolation trought a registry edit, since the GUI seems buggy in Windows 10 - 1809:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity

Enabled DWORD = 0
HVCIMATRequired DWORD = 0
Locked DWORD = 0
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

JeffDey wrote:We've found the solution today, thanks to this post
We sort of have those questions already answered in the FAQ "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests"... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.