Windows guests hang exactly once after each host reboot (#18784)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rokopt

Windows guests hang exactly once after each host reboot (#18784)

Post by rokopt »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18784: Windows guests hang exactly once after each host reboot
At some point during the 5.2.x series (I don't remember exactly which version), I started consistently experiencing the following problem with VirtualBox on my (64-bit) Windows 10 host. It occurs only with my Windows (10) guests, not with my (Manjaro) Linux guest.

Whenever I reboot the host, after restarting VirtualBox and my VMs, each Windows guest (but not the Linux one) will freeze exactly once, very soon after its first startup. When it freezes, if I try to close the window, which causes the "power off / send reset / etc." dialog box to come up, then whatever I choose, nothing happens; instead, that dialog box also freezes. If I choose "power off", for example, the guest window does not close. Then I click the 'x' to close either the dialog box or the host window, and it simply disappears (leaving the guest in the aborted state).

After I restart the guest, it remains up for a very long time. It never freezes again on the second or ensuing startups, until after I reboot the host again.

This has been happening on all 5.2.x versions since the first one on which it happened (alas I don't remember which one that was). I'm unable to use 6.0.x because of ticket #14366, so I'm not sure whether the bug also exists there or not. I think I have had at least one VM freeze on 6.0.10 while checking to see whether ticket #14366 still existed there (it does), so perhaps this bug does still exist on 6.0.x, but I didn't run long enough (because of ticket #14366) to confirm that it was the same behavior (i.e. successful long-term operation on the second and ensuing guest reboots, with the problem recurring only after the next host reboot).

I can't obtain a log by using "Machine"/"Show Log" because the GUI also hangs until I close the hanging VM.

I have opened ticket #18784 to track this problem, and have been advised to start a thread here as well.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Windows guests hang exactly once after each host reboot (#18784)

Post by fth0 »

rokopt wrote:I can't obtain a log by using "Machine"/"Show Log" because the GUI also hangs until I close the hanging VM.
Quick tip: Usually there are log files from the last 4 runs of a VM, named VBox.log (newest), VBox.log.1, VBox.log.2 and VBox.log.3 (oldest). You can look at them anytime you have a not-hanging VirtualBox GUI app (alternatively, they can be found in the file system on your host). In the second line of the log files you can see the date and time the logging has started, to help identify the right log file, or to verify that there has no log file been created.
rokopt

Post by rokopt »

Thanks for pointing that out. I attached logs from the three previous runs to the ticket.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Jul 2019, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Four lines from one of your VBox.log files showing a major problem (look at the version numbers):
VirtualBox VM 5.2.32 r132073 win.amd64 (Jul 12 2019 10:29:09) release log
00:00:02.557369 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:02.557390   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 6.0.10 r132072; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP unusable because of 'VBoxExtPackVMRegister returned VERR_VERSION_MISMATCH, pReg=0000000000000000 ErrInfo='Helper version mismatch - expected 0x3 got 0x10002'')
00:00:12.303722 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.32 r132073 '5.2.32'
After trying a newer VirtualBox version and going back to the previous one, you have to make sure to use matching versions of VirtualBox, the Extension Pack and the Guest Additions. You can manually remove and add the Extension Pack in the VirtualBox GUI app preferences.
rokopt

Post by rokopt »

Thanks. I've reverted the extension pack to 5.2.32 as well, reproduced the problem, and attached a new log to the ticket.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Jul 2019, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
rokopt

Post by rokopt »

6.1.0 might have fixed this for me, though I'm seeing a number of segfaults and hangs with slightly different properties (specifically, in that powering off actually does work, instead of hanging itself and requiring the VM to be killed via Task Manager), so I'm not quite positive that this bug is fixed as opposed to manifesting differently on 6.1.0. I'll file reports for the remaining or new problem(s) when I can. Thanks.