Can’t start Virtualbox VM – Error VERR_VD_IMAGE_READ_ONLY after update from 5.2.30 to 5.2.32

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jmar83_the2nd

Can’t start Virtualbox VM – Error VERR_VD_IMAGE_READ_ONLY after update from 5.2.30 to 5.2.32

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Can’t start Virtualbox VM – Error VERR_VD_IMAGE_READ_ONLY after update from 5.2.30 to 5.2.32, does somebody know what ths is??
regards, jan
jmar83_the2nd

Re: Can’t start Virtualbox VM – Error VERR_VD_IMAGE_READ_ONLY after update from 5.2.30 to 5.2.32

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

- detach and attach does not help
- file system permissions do not help
- file is NOT read only!!

???
Last edited by jmar83_the2nd on 25. Jul 2019, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
regards, jan
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can’t start Virtualbox VM – Error VERR_VD_IMAGE_READ_ONLY after update from 5.2.30 to 5.2.32

Post by scottgus1 »

To help you get underway getting a solution quick you can try searching for the error text (the CAPITALIZED_UNDERSCORE_SPACED words) in a web browser with the text "site:forums.virtualbox.org" added to restrict searching to this forum.

So try googling:

VERR_VD_IMAGE_READ_ONLY site:forums.virtualbox.org

and see if you can find something that works.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Is was that piece of crap called "VBoxVMService" which does not show the state in virtualbox - e.g. when a vm is started with it, i can't see it in virtualbox gui..
regards, jan
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Tain't no crap! 'Tis a solid good piece of 3rd-party software, I've used it myself.

Yes when the guest is running through VboxVMservice, the guest status can't be seen in the main Virtualbox window. Long-standing understanding, because the guest is running under a different account than the logged-in user account. Same thing happens trying to start a guest with Task Scheduler
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Sry. that was not really serious, i slowly was going anrgy because of a lot of problems. (small things they make big headaches and costs days of working time, the chief is not amused about it :roll: )

I will better use "phpvirtualbox" and self-written services they use a batch file. phpvirtalbox will show the state of vms they was not started with - e.g. started as a service. you just need to link the .virtualbox folder in "systemprofile" folder in %windir/system32 to C:\users\xyz\.VirtualBox and then you will see the state in the web app. (while the windows .exe virtualbox gui sill not show it! ;-))
regards, jan