USB devices gone, but usb hub is visible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jmar83_the2nd

USB devices gone, but usb hub is visible

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

my usb devices in debian stretch 9.9 guest are suddenly gone, to delete them was not helping

but i still see the usb hub, when i disable usb complete it's also not available anymore...

but why the devices are not visibble in vm when i can add then in windows vm host?

thx for feedback.
regards, jan
jmar83_the2nd

Re: USB devices gone, but usb hub is visible

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

when i try to add them while running, iget a message like "usb device could not bound to virtual machine"
regards, jan
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please carefully go through the steps in USB basics and troubleshooting.

If the steps don't help, please provide the command outputs in step 7, 8.

Also provide a zipped log showing the guest from cold boot (not save-state) to inserting the devices, to shutting down the guest from within the guest OS. Use the forum's Upload Attachment tab to post the zipped log. and command outputs.

Also make sure that you report exact error messages.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

One other thing, USB hubs cannot be captured, even though they may seem to have info that looks like it could be used in a filter. The Virtualbox code apparently specifically disallows capturing USB hubs.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

the problem has "survived" a complate soft reboot of the os* (!!!!!!!!!!), but after plug out an in again it was working

* maybe to take the power completely (=cable!!) would also solve it?

is that, really??
regards, jan
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Often an unplg/replug has been necessary to get a formerly-working USB device to start working again.

So you're good, everything is working?
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

I think we need to look at it at the next time how stable it is (it's a business-critical application that runs as a server von virtualbox), if the usb devices stay unreliable and there is no adequate solution we need to think about another virtualization solution that supports usb in a reliable way...

and i also saw that a usb 1.1 hub is more stable than a 2.0, and a 2.0 is more stable than a 3.0. but speed is not important in our case...

however, today i updated from 5.2.30 to 5.2.32 (with all extension pack & guest additions), but i don't really think it will solve it - that would be to nice to be true...
regards, jan
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

When I had to run something business-critical I got it to a point where it would work then I left it alone until I was forced to update. And then I updated after testing on a non-production environment.

The developers have said that the newer USB 3 xHCI implementation is supposed to be better-working, even with USB2 & 1.1 devices, might want to turn on the xHCI controller, install required guest drivers if needed, and see how that goes.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Currently, it's on a dev environment (instead of raspian and gpio now we need a debian as a VM and the USB adapter), but we need to go asap to prod. (maybe a combination of prod. and testing, "productive testing" so to say - company-internal usage before we go to customers..)
scottgus1 wrote:"The developers have said that the newer USB 3 xHCI implementation is supposed to be better-working, even with USB2 & 1.1 devices, might want to turn on the xHCI controller, install required guest drivers if needed, and see how that goes."
Thanks, will try it. So i saw, USB 2.0 may be the most instable one of all three. (?)
regards, jan
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Maybe a windows (host) problem, Windows will not re-enable tham after shutting down the VM which has used the "exclusive" while it was running..?
regards, jan
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I will note that, if you are using the VirtualBox extension pack then by definition it cannot be "business critical".
Extension Pack License wrote: 2 GRANT OF LICENSE. Oracle grants you a personal, non-exclusive,
non-transferable, limited license without fees to reproduce, install,
execute, and use internally the Product on Host Computers for
your Personal Use, Educational Use, or Evaluation. "Personal Use"
is noncommercial use solely by the person downloading the Product