Blue screen of death..... sigh

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nicknick

Blue screen of death..... sigh

Post by nicknick »

Hello, I am repeatedly getting bsod. Issue does not occur immediately but alwways occurs within a few mins. If you need logs to assist me i would be happy to provide them, please let me know which ones if tthat is necessary or what kind of system info you may require, thanks in advance!

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED is the error code that i am getting.
or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Here are the logs
Attachments
VBOXLOGS.zip
(56.98 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Blue screen of death..... sigh

Post by mpack »

The log you provided is for a Debian guest, but you have posted in the "Windows Guests" forum.

Blue screen of death IME refers to the kernel crash handler of Windows, prior to Windows 8.0 (after which it's a black screen of death).

So please clarify, is this BSOD happening in host or guest? SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION sounds like a Windows Host driver error.

I'm going to move this topic to "Windows Hosts".
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Some general observations about this guest.

1. Why did you choose the error prone VHD format? If the host PC has been crashing then it's quite possible that this virtual drive is already corrupted.

2. I think it's unlikely that 16MB is enough graphics RAM for this guest, especially since I'm seeing at attempt to select a 2K screen size immediately before the log ends. w=2560 h=1335 bpp=32. == 13.7MB per frame. Allowing for 10 frame buffers you should definitely max out graphics RAM on this one (128MB).

3. Your Guest Additions are way out of date, and belong to 5.2.0, by definition the buggiest version of the 5.2.x branch. You should upgrade to the 6.0.10 GAs.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A google search:

System_Service_Exception site:forums.virtualbox.org

found this link:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=77134

which suggests that Hyper-V is really not turned off yet. See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests Carefully go through each command in the 2nd & 3rd posts.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I considered that, but I wouldn't expect the guest to start up at all (ever). I'd say to check the obvious graphics RAM issue before being sidetracked.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This post with a half-same BSOD did seem to have Virtualbox attempting to boot the guest part-way then a truncated log. The above logs seems to look the same to me. Maybe the guest does seem to start booting then the BSOD happens?

Making sure there's enough resources in the guest is essential, though.