[WorksForMe] Using iPhone USB for internet on guest while host connected via 3G card

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
roeloffx

[WorksForMe] Using iPhone USB for internet on guest while host connected via 3G card

Post by roeloffx »

I have been looking around and cannot find an article that solves my particular problem with this.

My host is a Windows 7 laptop running Virtualbox 6.0. Extension pack has been installed. The guest is a Windows 10 box. I have mounted the iPhone successfully following advise from other internet posts; USB 2.0 controller and mounted to Apple Inc, iPhone [1005].

My problem is the following.

My laptop is connected to my corporate network via a 3G connection (internal mobile modem) over a corporate vpn. At the same time i plug in my iPhone into the laptop via USB cable. Then startup my Virtualbox opening the Windows 10 guest. I then confirm that the iPhone is mounted which it is. However, there is still no internet available.

What am i doing wrong or leaving out?
Last edited by socratis on 25. Jul 2019, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Using iPhone USB for internet on guest while host connected via 3G card

Post by socratis »

Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.

You should be searching the webs for "iPhone tethering". Start with the authority on the subject, Apple: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
roeloffx

Post by roeloffx »

Thank you @socratis for your reply.

@socratis as soon as i read you reply i almost wanted to slap myself in the face. It was actually so obvious. I had iTunes installed on my laptop but i did not install it on my VM. So, the USB driver for iPone was available on my laptop not the VM. Installed it on the VM, mounted the USB iPhone and .... worked perfectly. I am testing right now at work while connected on corporate WiFi simultaneously.

Regards,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

roeloffx wrote:@socratis as soon as i read you reply i almost wanted to slap myself in the face
We've all actually done that, you're not the first one. Try to put your head in a bucket full of icy water, it works miracles! :D
roeloffx wrote:I am testing right now at work while connected on corporate WiFi simultaneously.
Glad you got it going. Marking the thread as [WorksForMe], since ... it does ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.