Virtual Box Black Sccreen Flashing Cursor

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
paynod

Post by paynod »

Hi, I've been running an installation of Ubuntu 18.04 on my VirtualBox VM. After a number of weeks not using VirtualBox I booted it up only to be taken to a black screen with a flashing cursor. I can boot into grub where it say 'loading RAM disc'... Ultimately the screen hangs with a flashing cursor. I made sure that VT is checked in the Bios which seems the most common cause online. The problem persists if I try and install Ubuntu or Debian on a new VM. I've attached the log. I'm no expert but desperate to get this working again.

Thanks, Tim
Attachments
VBoxUbuntu.log
(69.74 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtual Box Black Sccreen Flashing Cursor

Post by scottgus1 »

00:00:03.115182 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.178331 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
Yep, 'tis the usual. Here's the usual advice:
socratis wrote:Look in the "Control Panel" » "Programs and Features" » "Turn Windows features on or off", and make sure that the none of the following are active (the list keeps getting bigger by the day):
  • Application Guard
  • Credential Guard
  • Device Guard
  • <any> * Guard
  • Containers
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
If that doesn't work, enter the following command:
  • 
    bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
followed by a cold boot, i.e. shut down the computer,.
paynod

Post by paynod »

Scott,
Solved, you have literally saved me from complete despair. What a legend!!! Great advice all working now. Thanks again, massively appreciate your time.

Tim