[Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Spoons

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by Spoons »

scottgus1 wrote:If you have Windows 10 Pro you can use Group Policy Editor to stop updates from installing on your PC until you are ready. Works up to 1809 so far, I don't have a Pro 1903 yet.

Run... > gpedit.msc > Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > set "Configure automatic updating" dropdown to 2 (Notify for download and auto install) or possibly 3 (Auto download and notify for install).

I have this on my workstation and never get upeneded by updates until I'm ready & time-prepared for possible glitches.
Good suggestion and that's exactly what I do. I actually have it set up as Notify for download and auto install. This time I went out of my way to check for updates because I had time and I applied the update I found which was only Windows 10 version 1903. This computer is brand new, it's only about a month old, got it specifically for the new CAD system and to test a virtual drive for legacy software. Right now I've had to reconnect my 5 year old custom built Windows 2000 computer to access the legacy files - ARRGH!

Having time and being reasonably capable of fixing what Windows updates wrecks hasn't been a problem in the past, usually I can just unload an affected piece of software, restart computer, and then reload it, I've been doing it this way with every version of Windows since Window 95. This update and this piece of software was different; VirtualBox is the ONLY piece of software that won't work on the new update, all the other software packages are either functioning normally after the update or functioning normally after reloading. To be completely fair; this is the first time I've ever used VirtualBox so I have no clue how it has reacted to past Windows updates.

I've now loaded Hyper-V and set up a Virtual machine using that, I don't like it as well as VirtualBox and I'm still dependent on my old Windows 2000 machine. I hope they get this fixed with an update because I simply don't have any more time to mess around with it any of it. If they come up with a solution I'll try it again, but as of now, it's back to work and CAD classes.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Version 1903: Failed to open session; call to WHvSetupPartition failed

Post by scottgus1 »

Microsoft is doing things with 10 they've never done before with other Windowses, and Virtualbox also does unusual things with a PC. The combo of the two leads to the troubles Virtualbox is having.
Spoons wrote:I read through some of the "fixes" in some of these threads and did what I full understood how to do and the rest of the instructions simply blew straight over my head.
Spoons wrote:I've now loaded Hyper-V and set up a Virtual machine using that
At least you're up and running and working. I do sympathize. Getting to work is often the more important issue, and you got to get the tool that works at the moment. 8)
Spoons wrote:I hope they get this fixed
Me too. If Microsoft would stop fiddling with their built-in Hyper-V and making every little part of Windows 10 run on Hyper-V from Virtual Machines to the Calculator, then Virtualbox could stabilize, too. :lol: It really isn't Virtualbox that has the problem. It's the high-handed way Microsoft Hyper-V uses the VT-x/AMD-V capabilities of the host PC. The Redmond folks never got taught how to let other children share their toys, so they hog VT-x, and that means no other program, which for us means Virtualbox, can use it.

I guess you've probably run across this post: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. If you do want to try Virtualbox again one day, please carefully go through each command in the 2nd & 3rd posts. Based on my perusal of successful fixes for this problem, the silver bullet appears to be proper implementation of the "bcdedit" command & complete power-down & unplug in post 2 point 1. Two full power-down shut-down & restart cycles may also be needed.
Lenin

Post by Lenin »

Fallo al abrir una sesión para la máquina virtual lenin.
Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Código resultado: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Componente: ConsoleWrap
Interfaz: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Este error impide que mi maquina vritual funcione. Necesito ayuda
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

[quote="DeepL translated what "Lenin""]
ES: Necesito ayuda
EN: I need help[/quote]
Help is in the article I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Please read it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.