Failed Install 6.0.8 Extension Pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ccq

Failed Install 6.0.8 Extension Pack

Post by ccq »

Since upgrading to Virtual Box 6.0.8, I have been unable to install the extension pack. After multiple attempts, I uninstalled Virtual Box completely, and reinstalled it. I am still experiencing the same complication.

I attempted to upgrade to 6.0.8 on another windows 10 machine, and that upgrade, went fine, including the extension pack.

The error I am getting on this machine is:

Failed to install the Extension Pack C://Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8.vbox-extpack.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Failed Install 6.0.8 Extension Pack

Post by scottgus1 »

You have to run Virtualbox as admin to install the Extension Pack on a Windows host. This is because the E.P. goes in where Virtualbox is installed, typically within the Program Files folder, and Windows requires Admin privileges to do that.

Close all open Virtualbox windows.
Open the main Virtualbox window by right-clicking the Virtualbox icon and choose Run As Administrator.
Add the Extension Pack.
Close Virtualbox main window.
Re-open the main Virtualbox window normally, not Run As Admin.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed Install 6.0.8 Extension Pack

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Open the main Virtualbox window by right-clicking the Virtualbox icon and choose Run As Administrator.
Just to add a small tip that I just found out about, even though I've been using Windows for years; if you have the VirtualBox app in the taskbar (or any other app), by doing a Ctrl+Shift+LeftClick on the icon in the taskbar, it's the same as RightClick on the app in the desktop and selecting RunAsAdministrator.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.