Using USB NIC Doesn't always work again after Standby

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jerdill

Using USB NIC Doesn't always work again after Standby

Post by jerdill »

I have a Win10 VM running on a Win10 Host using VirtualBox 6.0.6. I attach the USB NIC through the Devices->USB menu when the VM is up and running. (I don't use the Connect Network Adapter Option). Everything works as expected after a fresh VM power own. When the day is done I then disconnect the USB NIC from the VM and then close the host laptop lid to go to standby mode. The next day I open the lid from standby and then re-attach the USB NIC to the VirtualBox OS using the Devices-USB menu again. Sometimes the Network works again, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work the NIC doesn't pull and IP address and just gets the generic 169.X.x.x type IP. If I manually specify an IP at that time it still won't ping the default gateway at all.

It's strange because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In order to restore function when it breaks, I have to completely power off the VM and restart. If I just do a restart only it doesn't fix the problem. Only fix is to do a complete power off of the VM first.

Does anybody else have a similar issue? Are there any logs I can capture that might help shed some light? Maybe this is a bug of some sort? (It has been happening for awhile even on virtualbox 5.x version)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Using USB NIC Doesn't always work again after Standby

Post by socratis »

jerdill wrote:It's strange because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
That's very unfortunate. A strange behavior that can be seen as a bug, has to be 1) reproducible if specific steps are followed, and more importantly 2) reproducible on other setups, preferably on a developer's computer.

USB can be finicky in a lot of cases. For example on my setup, I have the following:
  • MacBookPro => USB3 hub (powered) => Apple Studio Display (powered) => iPhone
Sometimes the MBP will receive a message from the iPhone that it doesn't have enough power, and the iPhone won't charge and it can't communicate with the MBP. I need to unplug everything, reset the hub, and plug them in a specific order with the Apple Studio Display been plugged in one-before-last and the last one being the iPhone. And it works. That's just the way things are...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.