VirtualBox 6.0.8 install error on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
yaddayadda

VirtualBox 6.0.8 install error on Windows 10

Post by yaddayadda »

"Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.0.8 Setup Wizard ended prematurely"

The progress bar makes it roughly 75% through, then sticks for several minutes, then error. Been working on this since last night but can't make it past the issue. Can someone point me in a direction?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 6.0.8 install error on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

Follow the steps below. If there is a failure, please state exactly which step failed:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
yaddayadda

Post by yaddayadda »

Step #5 failed (installing VirtualBox):

"Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.0.8 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error...."
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Download the installer again, just in case it was corrupted.

Then make sure to use "Run as administrator" when running the installer: these kinds of errors nearly always arise from group policy constraints preventing device drivers from being installed.
yaddayadda

Post by yaddayadda »

I've definitely been using 'run as administrator' since first attempting to install.

Downloaded installer again, but it still isn't working.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The VirtualBox installer is a standard MSI install file. It's not VirtualBox that fails at this point, it's your Windows installer. Check to see if you have any corrupted MSI database files:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cdaehn

Post by cdaehn »

I'm having the same problem. It will not allow me to install any prior or current version of VBOX and I'm badly in need of my vm to come back up.

I've tried all the fixes shown in the previous messages and it still fails at 75% of copying new files in the install.

I am running an insider preview version of windows 10, but no other installs have been affected by this.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Running your vms on an Insider build of Windows 10? You do like to live dangerously!
Bill
cdaehn

Post by cdaehn »

Yes, Windows XP VMs.
Gururoop

Post by Gururoop »

I managed to work around this issue by using Portable-VirtualBox (search Google for links) to install the latest version of VirtualBox on Windows 10 build 18917. Everything is working fine. I too use VirtualBox to run Windows XP on every latest Insider Preview build. I have a pre-installed virtual disk containing my installation of Windows XP and even shared folders are working perfectly. VirtualBox installation problem started for me since build 18908.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This site provides support for official VirtualBox. If you want to discuss Portable VirtualBox then please take that discussion off site.

I post this since I see that you have posted this same info in multiple topics, a pattern which looks suspiciously like spamming these forums, schilling for a third party product. I will allow one such comment to remain, the rest I will delete.
Gururoop

Post by Gururoop »

I have posted similar info in 2 topics, only where it was relevant. There are number of VirtualBox fans, who NEED to use it on latest Insider Preview build of Windows. I had no intention of spamming or schilling. It is just a work around for people who are unable to use Virtual Box due to constant modification of code by Windows team. I discovered it by trial and error, posted it for the benefit of the community.