Rebooting CentOS guest causes critical error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
paulcybercitizen

Rebooting CentOS guest causes critical error

Post by paulcybercitizen »

I recently installed VB on a Windows 10 PC, and made a CentOS 7 guest. Today, rebooting the guest caused VB to report a critical error. I'm new to VB and CentOS, and would very much appreciate help in debugging.

The host is a Dell XPS 8930 running Windows 10, and the only connected externally via WiFi. The version of VB is 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.6.2)

The guest is CentOS 7 downloaded a few days ago.

I rebooted the guest using the "reboot" command in a terminal window, and while it was coming back up, VB reported a critical error and recommended closing the guest and referring to the VB forum. I attached the files mentioned in the message, and the output of the VB command showing the guest configuration. Any help diagnosing the problem would be welcome.
Attachments
vmdiagnostics.log
Output of VB command showing guest configuration
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Last edited by mpack on 27. May 2019, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted useless unzipped log attachment.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Rebooting CentOS guest causes critical error

Post by scottgus1 »

regrettably it seems the part of the log that would have shown the error has gotten truncated. Please zip the log, it will fit if zipped.
paulcybercitizen

Uploading zipped VBox.log
Attachments
VBox.zip
Uploading VBox.log in zip format
(83.32 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.658236 Console: Machine state changed to 'Restoring'
00:01:53.871976 !!         VCPU1: Guru Meditation -1607 (VERR_PGM_HANDLER_NOT_FOUND)
Just recently we resolved another issue that was getting a VERR_PGM_HANDLER_NOT_FOUND, and again it had to do with restoring a saved state. Take a look at the thread VERR_PGM_HANDLER_NOT_FOUND error and see if shutting down the VM helps in your case too...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
paulcybercitizen

I launched the VM again, and this time there wasn't any error. So is the solution is to never pause the VM? I.e. if I'm going to power down the host, I should first shutdown the guest instead of pausing it?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Until the issue gets addressed, I'm afraid that yes, you should shutdown the guest. It's the best practice after all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.