[Solved] VM + Win10 (rev 1903) - VERR (Missing Kernel & NO VMX)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Peter Phoenix

Re: [Solved] VM + Win10 (rev 1903) - VERR (Missing Kernel & NO VMX)

Post by Peter Phoenix »

socratis wrote:No. You didn't just "post to a thread". You started a rant, a biased rant. You were replying to a thread marked as [Solved], stating emphatically that the solutions don't work! Don't you see the fallacy in your argument?
Understand, please, that I came to this thread because it was marked as solved and was hoping for a solution.
socratis wrote:We do help people, we're volunteers here, but please... don't threaten us that you're going to leave. That's where the "it makes no difference to us" comes in. If you want help, great, let's try and analyze the problem and figure out what's going on. But if you come swinging left and right in your first post, expect the appropriate attitude back.
I know you're all volunteers, but that is beside the point. I was, as you put it, "swinging left and right" in my first post because I wanted to ask a question about how to solve my problems with VirtualBox, except that the forum software was severely limiting the means (no screenshots or web links in the first 24 hours of my being a forum member) with which I would be doing so. How could I be expected to properly describe my problem if the means of describing that problems are not allowed?
socratis wrote:Why do you think you're entitled to give orders? What rights do you think you have and where did they come from? We're all here scratching our collective heads for months now, trying to find a solution to this Hyper-V $hitstorm, and you come in and demand that we provide you with a clean solution? One that your prejudiced attitude has already determined that it's not going to work? Please...
I do not believe that I once gave orders of any kind. I was asking for help. It is really so bad for someone such as myself to ask for help, and if or when you are not able to provide that help yourself, to then redirect me to someone who might, or to just simply say that you have not been able to resolve my problem?

So you finally say that there IS a problem with VirtualBox and Hyper-V. Why didn't you say so from the start, and we might have been able to void all my so-called "ranting" that I've been accused of. That's all you had to do, and I'd have left it at that and would have waited for a patch or update to Oracle VirtualBox that resolved the problem.

My so-called "prejudice" arose only because you could not help, and because yourself and other posters have accused me of "ranting", or not previously checking other threads for solutions, or by saying that my computer was the problem and not VirtualBox, etc.

Or really just by saying that none of you are obligated to help. Tell me? If you do not feel obligated to help, then why are you even here and why did you respond to my post?

I use Oracle VirtualBox often and use it check that my software works across a wide variety of operating systems. I DO NOT know how it works internally (only that it does what I need of it) or what to do when something goes wrong with it. You and others forums members do. That's why I needed your help. That's why I came here. Even if you are just a volunteer user, you are more familiar with the internal technical operations and general use of the software than I am and are therefore more qualified to help other users resolve their issues.
socratis wrote:If you want help, help us help you. That's how it goes on the free/open-source world, that's how it works on peer-to-peer communities. You don't demand, you contribute. And I don't mean grief, attitude and troll-like behavior...
That's all I wanted from anyone was some help. So lets have you do what I asked for from the start - help me to resolve the problem I'm having with Oracle VirtualBox. And like I said earlier, if you personally cannot help to resolve the issue, then point me in the direction of someone who might be able to do so.

Here's to hoping I can now post everything I originally wanted to (Logs & Screenshots):
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApNPUvsKitb8iOpJn_gUvCBZsPBjdw
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Peter Phoenix wrote:lets have you do what I asked for from the start
There's still prima-donna attitude here, lots of it. From the start it's been bad, and it's been downhill ever since.

I wonder if we have achieved DNFTT status on this one?
Peter Phoenix

Post by Peter Phoenix »

All I asked for is a viable solution to my problem of my virtual machines no longer working in Oracle VirtualBox. How is that being a troll?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

It's the coming-at-us-with-both-barrels-blazing and all the "you do what I tell you" stuff. That's not likely to encourage anyone to want to help.

Please start over fresh with a new thread, so we don't confuse this one anymore. Please post one log from one guest showing the problem you're getting, from the guest's cold boot, to the issue appearing, to shutting down the guest.

Logs should be posted in a zipped format, so they'll fit the forum attachment size limits. Screenshots should be cropped and resized to fit the forum limit, or if they just show an error message, copying the error message into text if possible would be better than a screenshot.

Logs and screenshots should be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. Posting logs and screenshots this way is available to even first-time posters who can't yet post weblinks.

We look forward to a calm, peaceful discussion in a new thread. Thanks for listening! :D
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well, I'm going to lock this topic anyway. The OPs topic should never have been hijacked in the first place. By definition it isn't the same problem if the OPs problem was solved.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Just one final remark, because I don't want to leave misconceptions lingering without being properly answered/understood...
Peter Phoenix wrote:So you finally say that there IS a problem with VirtualBox and Hyper-V
I don't think anyone ever said that there's no problem with the symbiosis of these two. The trick/problem with VT-x is that it has to be shared, since it's "only one" available slot for its use. For example, VMware and VirtualBox do not use VT-x at the same time, but rather take turns. To put it simply, every program that uses VT-x should do this: VT-x lock, execute, VT-x unlock. This way other processes can use VT-x in turns.

On the other hand, Hyper-V permanently takes over VT-x and doesn't let anyone else use it. If a program uses VT-x from the moment it is loaded, and doesn't let go till the moment it dies, you have a problem. So, please complain to Microsoft about that. It's *not* a VirtualBox problem. We're simply trying to find ways around it...
Peter Phoenix wrote:and would have waited for a patch or update to Oracle VirtualBox that resolved the problem
Again, this isn't a VirtualBox problem, there can't be a patch that changes what your host does. See above.
Peter Phoenix wrote:help me to resolve the problem I'm having with Oracle VirtualBox
Your problem is with your host, we/you need to figure out what's using Hyper-V. See above. I bet you everything I own that if you do a clean installation of your host's Win10, you won't have that problem. Thousands and thousands of users don't. A few, do...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.